Part 17 - Not just a game

MIA

"Let's go Warriors, let's Go! Let's Go Warriors, Let's Go!" Shouted the cheerleading squad. The bleachers were packed with a sea of green and white flags and banners, the air was electric. Tonight was our high school's big football game. Even though all games were a big deal, tonight was against our local rivals and literally everyone was out to see the Warriors beat the Ravens.

I sat in our usual seats up near the back and to the left of the bleachers with Phoebe and Samuel. Caleb was on the team but rarely played and was benched a lot, this was more due to his age more than his skill and I knew it pissed him off, especially when Ethan played every game as he was the star player. Joanie was a cheerleader so she was somewhere down below amongst the swishing pom poms having the best time of her life. It wasn't really the best seats but we always struggled to get any closer so ended up returning to this same spot for all the games. But we never missed a game.

The large scoreboard and stadium clocks light up in preparation of the big game, huge screams hit the stadium as the football team arrives and everyone gets to their feet to applaud them including us to scream our support. The team moves to huddle and talk to their coach and it isn't hard for me to spot Ethan. He looks amazing in his football jersey, he's easily the tallest person on the team. Even from way up here his body looks incredible. Caleb stands next to him with his arms crossed, he looks pissed. I can see Ethan pat Caleb on his back and try to talk to him, but he shrugs it off, kicking a bottle of water over before he heads to the bench.

We take our seats and wait for the game to start, the Ravens have just entered so there's a lot of boo's going on nearby that make me laugh, their cheerleading squad are doing a piss poor job to drown out the abuse with their shrill chants. I glance sideways and give Sammy an awkward smile, he's been a bit off with me all week and I'm not surprised why, he basically sees me as the girl next door that's flirting with his two brothers. He gives me a small nod back, nothing like his huge dimpled smile I'd usually get and I look away feeling disappointed that he's upset with me.

I look down and start flicking through my phone as a distraction until the game starts. However it's not long before I'm aware of some gasps and whispers around me and a large shadow towers over me, I look up slowly blinking as the floodlights are right in my eyes when I see Ethan standing over me and my heart literally stops.

For the last year Ethan didn't even acknowledge my existence at high school, and now here he is, he's climbed up through the crowded bleachers with the whole school watching to stand in front of me. This is massive, the star football player, the captain, is off the field just before a big game is about to begin, all eyes are on him to see what he's doing. I can hear people around us whispering about us, but all I could do was look at Ethan like a rabbit in the headlights.

Just breathe Mia, just breathe!

"Hey, I've got you guys some seats near the front. It's a big game, could do with your support. You coming?" he grins.

Phoebe squeals next to me and jumps up from her seat, I hear Sammy sigh before he stands up soon afterwards. Slowly I rise to my feet and gulp, wide eyed and stunned. Ethan's eyes don't leave mine.

"Don't you have a whole cheerleading squad screaming support for you? Surely that's enough?" I say trying to sound confident, but my voice cracks with anxiety, betraying me and showing how nervous I am.

"No, no it's not. I want you closer," he replies seriously, his eyes boring into mine. Before I know what's happening, Ethan grabs my hand and starts to lead me down through the packed bleachers closely followed by Phoebe and Samuel. Samuel sighs again disapprovingly just behind me, I totally get it, this is a bad idea. I'm shaking madly, I lower my face and eyes to avoid looking at anyone. I know the whole school right now is watching us, my face is on fire as my legs tremble with nerves. I'm surrounded by more whispers and gasps, so I'm thankful when I feel Ethan squeeze my hand in support and pull me a little closer to him as we make our descent.