• Ch.Twenty Three - Unite •

The ocean - or should I say Ellie - looks like it's trying to stop me. Its strange pull and push is begging me not to do it. I hold tight to an old, rough rope I found in my basement. Its noose is hanging around my neck. Its scratchy feel is making my hands burn red. Even the thing that is soon to kill me is trying to prevent me from doing so. So many signs and I'm ignoring them all.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, feeling the sea breeze against my soft cheeks. I haven't even done it yet and the stool under my feet feels like it isn't there anymore. I wonder if Ellie is waiting for me. I wonder if she isn't. If I do this, I won't have to worry about anything anymore. I won't have to worry about how I look or what I've eaten. I won't have to act like I'm happy. I'll be happy. Soon.

This seems okay.
Here we go.

I stand on my toes and pause for a moment, my heart racing. This is it. This day, Saturday, three pm, is Taylor Swift's last day.

"Taylor!", calls a voice. But I'm too focused on what is about to happen and the voice sounds like a soft scream. Maybe it's Ellie on the other side. Maybe I'm already dead.

I lean forward and let go.

Rough arms grab for my waist and hoist me upwards, preventing the rope from tightening. I kick and scream, tears streaming down my face. More arms are holding me upwards. A pair of hands are fiddling with the rope and untying it. I fall with a thud to the ground on top of someone.

"Why would you!?", sobs Ella, taking my face in her hands, "Why would you!?"

Ed throws the rope over the cliff. A lady who I don't know frantically tries to help us up but we're crying too hard.

"I couldn't do it anymore!", I whimper over Ella's face.

She doesn't respond and continues to shake and sob underneath me. Ed eventually lifts me up. Ella is also helped to her feet. And I'm brought into a desperate hug. Sorry hands wrap themselves around my waist and back. Hard kisses are pressed into my face and neck.

The walk home is quiet, apart from the constant sniffling from both me and Ella.

"I love you", she whispers into my ear as we lie on my couch, Maria and Ed taking in the kitchen in low hushed voices.

"I adore you", I reply, kissing her. "I missed you"

"I missed you too", she smiles. It's an odd thing to see considering the recent events. But it's also a breathtakingly satisfying one. "I'm moving back in with you, Taylor"

My eyes light up and I hold her even tighter. "That's the best thing I've heard in weeks!"

Olivia hops up onto the couch. She rubs her furry face against Taylor's shoulder.

"Must he nice to be a cat", Taylor sighs, petting the Scottish fold around its odd little ears. "You're completely unaware of all the bad things"

"And I could cuddle and love you all day", Ella grins.

"And I'd scratch up the faces of my enemies", I laugh.

It's weird. It's weird how this girl makes me feel. I was about to throw my life away almost an hour ago and now I'm here with her. With Ella. Perfect, wonderful, amazing Ella. She's hugging me close and kissing my cheeks, making them blush. Her hands are in all the right places, petting me softly as of I were a kitten. Hell, I'm even sure I'm purring a bit.

Her phone buzzes and she ignores it. It's me time. She leans in closer and kisses me once again. Her lips are so perfect and she's wearing some sort of flavoured gloss. It tastes sweet like candy. But something is off... Something is missing from her. I open my eyes and take her in to see if I can figure it out.