Prologue

・❥・

・❥・

It's the end of an era. My elementary school days are over and I'm surprisingly really sad about it. It's Culmination Day and my class and I are outside the back of the auditorium, waiting for our class to do our culmination ceremony.

I'm pretty sure that the class doing theirs right now is Sawyers. I'm hoping that his class exits through the back of the auditorium so that I can see him and hopefully say goodbye. We're both going to different middle schools so I don't know when I'll see him next. I just want to give him one more farewell before we're forced to live two separate lives.

I'm talking to my best friend Elise when the back door to the auditorium opens and out walks Sawyers' class. I spot Sawyer and a smile automatically lights up my face. I call out his name, waving my arms in the air trying to get his attention, but he doesn't see me. He's walking next to some of his friends and they all seem to be in a deep conversation laughing and smiling. It makes me happy to see him happy, but a frown still touches my lips when he doesn't spot me. I don't have much time to dwell on the matter anyway because my class is being led into the auditorium.

When the ceremony is over, we all exit through the back of the auditorium and the second that we make it outside, I stand on my tippy toes and try to see if I can spot Sawyer through the crowd. It's no use though because he isn't here.

"Sage, mi amor, what's with the frown?" my mom asks.

"It's nothing," I respond, turning my frown upside down.

"Okay, if you say so," she says, furrowing her brows. "Let's take some pictures and then we can go get some dinner at your favorite restaurant. How does that sound?"

"I love that idea," I say, this time actually giving a genuine smile because the sound of food always brightens my mood.

"I love that idea too. I'm freaking starving," my dad says with a groan.

"Hey! Language!" my mom warns.

"Sorry, my love," my dad apologizes with a sheepish smile, leaning over to give her a kiss on her cheek.

After taking pictures my parents take my three younger sisters and I to my favorite restaurant for a celebratory dinner. I had a really good time and the food was absolutely delicious, but no matter how hard I tried, the thought of not being able to say goodbye to Sawyer remained stuck in my head.

When we reach home, I dress in my pajamas and jump into bed. It's been a long day and I'm exhausted. But, the thought of Sawyer creeps into my head and dampens my mood. I tell myself that I will only allow myself tonight to be sad about never seeing him again and then I will move on.

Little did I know that the thought of Sawyer would never flee my head. He would always be there reminding me that even if I tried to move on, he would always be there. That all of the new people that I would meet couldn't live up to him because he would always be the one that I wanted. It wouldn't matter though because we were never going to see each other again.

Or would we?