Chapter 12 | Disappointment

・❥・

・❥・

"Don't you ever wish you could flip someone off with your middle toe?" Logan wonders aloud.

"What?" I laugh.

"You get me, right? Like instead of using your middle finger you can just whip your foot out and bam you're flipping someone off with your middle toe," he explains.

"You're an idiot." Orion shakes his head trying to hide his smile.

"C'mon guys, you've never wanted to do that?"

Margot looks at him with a bored expression. "Do you ever think before you speak?"

"Uh yeah," Logan says in a "duh" tone. "How do you think I get all of my ideas?"

Peyton laughs and Orion—who is sitting next to her—looks at her like she just hung up the stars in the sky. It's been a few weeks since our little talk at the beach, and neither of them have made a move.

Those bitches are even more stubborn than Sawyer and I are.

Speaking of Sawyer... "Where's Sawyer?" I ask the group.

"His class is across campus, that's why it takes him longer to get here," Reece answers. I nod, looking over at the entrance to the garden area every so often waiting for Sawyer to arrive.

A few minutes later, I spot Sawyer walking in through the gate and immediately perk up, but something seems off.

"There he is," Logan announces as Sawyer comes to sit next to him. I frown. Sawyer didn't sit next to me like he usually does.

Logan reaches out to clap Sawyer on the shoulder, but he shoves Logan's hands off of him and sends him a little glare. Logan holds his hands up in surrender.

Damn okay. He's a little feisty today.

I connect eyes with Logan and he does a little motion with his head towards Sawyer. I send him a confused look. He rolls his eyes and mouths 'talk to him.' I immediately shake my head, scared that Sawyer will react to me the same way he did to Logan, but Logan sends me a scolding look and I open my mouth.

"Hi Sawyer," I greet with a soft smile. When his head shoots up to look at me, his gaze softens for a split second and then it immediately vanishes, causing my smile to falter.

"Hey," he grunts.

My smile drops and the whole table turns quiet. At least I'm not the only one that noticed his change in attitude. He's usually more lively than this and has never acted so dismissive towards me.

Margot grabs hold of my hand from under the table and gives it a little squeeze. I reciprocate the squeeze, turn to her, smile, and pull something out of my ass to talk about it. All of the silence is too overwhelming. I need chatter or else I'll start to overthink everything and I don't need that right now.