Chapter 4 | Follow Request

・❥・

・❥・

I'm trying to speak but nothing is coming out. All of the words are stuck in my throat not leaving my vocal cords and I think it might be freaking Sawyer out. He has a worried look on his face and is reaching his hand out to grab mine. It doesn't last very long though because my brain regains its function and it orders my legs to take a step back.

"Uh hey, Sawyer," I say, bringing my hands behind my back. If he touches me, my heart will literally turn to mush. I need to take this slow.

"Hi Sage," he responds, retracting his hand and bringing it up to scratch the back of his neck. "I didn't expect to see you here," he awkwardly laughs.

"Yeah me neither." Your gut feeling says otherwise.

He meets my eyes again and says, "It's nice to see you."

Something in my chest flutters but I quickly push it away. "It's nice to see you too." I send him a small smile. "I would love to catch up but I really have to get back to my mom and get her her sandwich," I admit, showing him the paperbag that I'm carrying that has my mom's sandwich inside.

"Oh yeah, of course. I wouldn't want to keep her waiting. I'll see you around."

"Bye Sawyer," I say, waving my hand.

"Bye Sage," he says, doing the same thing with his hand.

I pull open the door to the main office and use the rest of the adrenaline that I have from seeing Sawyer to high-tail it to my mom's office.

I spent the rest of my time sitting in my mom's office and replaying the little incident that happened with Sawyer earlier. How I fell right on my ass in front of him and how I couldn't get any words out of my mouth the second that our eyes connected. I made a complete moron of myself and now Sawyer probably thinks I'm the biggest doofus out there.

When we arrive home, I decide that I'm going to take a shower to wash off all of my stupidity and then I will FaceTime the girls to fill them in on everything that happened today.

They're gonna have a field day with this. We're all romance readers so I already know that they're gonna bring up fate and second-chance romance and all of that stuff that's too pure for the real world.

After my hour-long shower, I get dressed in my cloth shorts and tank top and then I make a group FaceTime call with Peyton and Margot.

"Hiiiiiiiii," I greet when they both answer the phone.

"Sup bitch," Margot says, when her face comes into view. When Peyton's face comes into view, she rolls her eyes and sends me a smile in greeting.

"I have some big news that I need to share, but before I go any further I need you both to promise me something." I send them a serious look through the screen.

"It depends what you want us to promise you," Peyton says. Margot nods along with her.

"Nevermind, I'll just tell you guys what happened. Okay so, I was sitting in my mom's office, right? She got hungry so she asked me to go get her a sandwich from the Jersey Mikes across the street—"

"We don't need to hear you go on about you walking across the street and what type of sandwich you ordered. Just get to the good stuff please," Margot interrupts.

"You're right, sorry. Anyway, after I get my mom her sandwich I make my way back to the school. I'm about to open the door to the main office when someone on the other side opens it before I can and the door hits me straight in the forehead." The girls break into laughter but I just roll my eyes and continue on with my story.

"I'm on the floor trying to hold back my tears when the person that hit me with the door reaches down and holds his hand out to help me up." The girls are awing now. "He helps me up and then I accidently look him in the eye and guess who the person is?"

"SAWYER," they both yell.

"YES! Can you guys believe it, I can't believe I was right. So, we exchanged a few sentences and then I was like sorry gotta go and then I left."

"What did you guys talk about?!" Peyton asks in a very enthusiastic voice.

"Nothing much really. He just said it was nice to see me."

"HE WHAT?" They both scream.

"You guys, please stop making this a bigger deal than it actually is. I don't need you guys getting my hopes up."

"Sage, he literally said it was nice to see you. I mean who even says that?"

"A polite perso—"

"Hush child. What I mean is, I don't think Sawyer would say that if he didn't mean it, you get me."

"I agree with Peyton," Margot interjects. "This is literally the plot of a book. I can already picture the tropes: childhood lovers to strangers to lovers, shy girl outgoing boy, boy falls harder, second-chance romance. This would make an amazing romance book."

"Margot please shut u—holy shit. OH MY GOD HOLY SHIT." I launch my phone across my bedroom.

"WHAT? WHY ARE YOU HOLY SHITTING?"

"SAGE PICK YOUR FREAKING PHONE UP AND TELL US WHAT HAPPENED."

I run to pick up my phone and share my screen so that the girls can see what I'm seeing.

"HOLY SHIT," they both say at the same time. I nod, staring at my phone trying to grasp what just happened.

"Well," Margot urges. "What the hell are you waiting for? Accept his follow request you dumb bitch!"

"Really?" I ask incredulously.

"Yes!" They both all but scream.

"Okay, okay I will." I'm about to accept his request, but then I hesitate asking the girls, "Are you guys sure I should do it right now? Shouldn't I wait like a few hours before I accept it?"

"Why would you need to wait a few hours?" Peyton asks.

"You think I know," I say exasperatedly, throwing the arm that isn't holding my phone up in the air.

"Who cares, Sage. Just accept the damn request and follow him back." I follow Margot's instructions, accepting his request and then following him because he has a public account.

"Damn, for having so many followers, he sure doesn't follow a lot of people. You're one of the chosen ones, Sage." I roll my eyes at Peyton's statement. But, it doesn't stop me from noticing that he has over 700 followers and only follows like 60 people. That's a good sign, right? I think it is.

"Not gonna lie, today's events have really tired me out. I'm gonna go to bed because I'm really tired and this whole Sawyer thing is starting to stress me out. Thank you both for listening to me and being here for me. I love you both, good night," I tell the girls.

"Good night, we love you too."

"Good night, love you bitch." I roll my eyes at Margot's farewell and then hang up the FaceTime call.

Word Count: 1173

author's note:

Hi my loves! If you guys are OG's from when I first wrote I Never Stopped, you will know that this is a completely new chapter. I hope that you guys enjoyed it and enjoy what I have planned.

Be sure to let me know your thoughts on the book and characters :)

I love you and I am proud of you. I hope that you have a beautiful day <3

elisa <3