Chapter 18 | Girlfriend?

・❥・

・❥・

"Has Orion made his move yet?"

Peyton flops into her seat and starts to unpack her lunch, unfazed by the question that Margot just asked her.

Margot and I have been taking turns asking Peyton these types of questions. We're nosy people that love to be in each other's business and we're getting freaking impatient. Like damn bitch, how long does it take someone to ask a girl out?

"No, the same answer I've told you guys the past fifty times you've asked me," Peyton answers dejectedly. "Nothing has happened since Halloween."

Right, Halloween. When Orion kissed Peyton and then started acting distant, or that's what Peyton says. They still walk with each other, he still buys her lunch, but Peyton swears it's not the same as it was before the kiss.

Margot and I believe her because truly, we don't know what they share. We don't know their relationship or dynamic like she does. It just makes me sad that he's acting weird because I know Peyton really likes him and she deserves to be happy.

Because Peyton is one of my best friends and I love her, I took it upon myself to try and get to the bottom of her little predicament. When she told Margot and I about what happened, I immediately went to Sawyer, knowing he would have some answers.

I explained to Sawyer a little bit about what happened, assuming he would already know, which he did. He tried to play stupid, but he wasn't fooling me. I flat out asked him "what in the hell is Orion's problem?" and he just shrugged, going back to the video game he was playing.

I wasn't having it, so I forced it out of him, as I should. He put up a damn good fight, but there's only so much tickling someone can take. Eventually he relented and told me that Orion's prior relationship didn't end well. Orion is scared of committing to Peyton because she makes him feel things that scare him.

I mean, I get it, Sawyer kinda scared the shit out of me too, but I'd rather be happy than worry about the what ifs.

Sawyer made me promise that I wouldn't tell Peyton, but I couldn't do my best friend like that, so I just reassured her that Orion likes her and now I'm leaving the rest to Orion.

Speaking of Orion, he and the other three boys walk into the garden area with platters of food in their hands. They all walk to their assigned-unassigned seats: Sawyer next to me, Orion next to Peyton, and Reece and Logan on either side of Margot.

"What're you guys talkin' about?" Logan asks us cheerfully.

"Definitely not you," Margot replies flatly.

Logan rolls his eyes, but chooses to ignore her, turning towards Reece to talk to him about something.

Everyone is kinda doing their own thing today, so I open up my backpack and pull out the current book I'm reading: Josh + Hazel's Guide To Not Dating. I literally can't get enough of this book. Hazel always finds a way to make a fool of herself and sometimes it gives me second hand embarrassment, but I just can't stop reading.