Chapter 17 | I Don't Like Burgers

・❥・

・❥・

My stomach lets out the loudest grumble.

I flush in my seat, turning towards the car window to try and act like nothing happened. But, of course Sawyer can't act indifferent towards the sound and has to open his stupid mouth.

"Are you hungry?" he asks me.

"No, not really."

Liar.

Ever since Jake and his friends started their taunting, I haven't been eating much. I've usually been skipping breakfast and lunch, filling myself up with water until dinner. When the girls or Sawyer ask me why I'm not eating lunch at school, I just tell them that I ate a big breakfast that filled me up.

I hate that I'm lying to the people I care about, but I just can't take the taunting, it's starting to get out of hand. The only way to make it stop is to stop eating and lose weight.

Sawyer turns to me quickly since he's driving and gives me an incredulous look. "I just heard your stomach grumble."

"No you didn't. It was all an illusion," I say, my voice mysterious.

We stop at a red light and Sawyer turns to me again, his eyes narrowing in suspicion. I put my hands under my thighs and meet his stare head on, hoping that my face doesn't give anything away.

Sawyer clicks his tongue. "We're getting food."

"But—"

"No buts," he stops my complaint. "I'm hungry and you need to eat, we're getting food."

"Fine, but only because you bought me a bunch of books."

Sawyer rolls his eyes playfully. "What do you feel like having?"

I shrug. "I don't know. You're the one that's hungry."

"Okay, how about McDonalds?"

"Immediately no."

"Taco Bell?"

"Gross."

"In-N-Out?"

"I don't like burgers."

"HUH?" Sawyer screeches.

The car slightly swerves and I grab hold of my seatbelt, my eyes popping out of their sockets.

"Sawyer! What the hell was that?" I shriek.

"You don't like burgers? Who doesn't like burgers?"

"I don't. I just said that," I state the obvious.

"You're fucking with me, right?" Sawyer asks, not believing my statement.

I shake my head firmly in disagreement.

"We're going to In-N-Out. End of discussion," he concludes.