Chapter IV

“Psst,” someone whispered, which made Pearl jerk and quickly move her attention away from the villager she had been trading with.

“Pearl!” the voice whispered again, this time a little bit louder.

“Hello?” Pearl said, chuckling.

“Pearl!” the voice said, this time Pearl heard it was Grian. “Do you want to get involved in a war?”

“What war are we talking?” Pearl wondered.

“A very stupid war,” Grian laughed.

Pearl went through the backdoor in her house just to find Grian struggle with the front doors.

“How do you open these doors?” he asked. Pearl saw that he had open both big doors, and the trapdoors in the middle that only was there for decoration. She closed all the doors and then showed Grian how you were supposed to open it.

“You only need to open one door,” Pearl told him, demonstrating it to make it even more clear.

“Something just doesn’t add up to me,” he said and went to the backdoor. “I open these two, and then the trapdoors.”

He showed it as he spoke, and Pearl shook her head.

“You only need to open one!” Pearl repeated, and demonstrated it a second time. “Anyway, you were talking about a war?”

“Yes,” Grian nodded. “A war between me and Mumbo. I wanted to see how far he’d go with peace, love and pl(aha)nts.”

“I’ve seen some trees popping up here and there,” Pearl told him. “Is that what the war is about?”

“You basically just summed it up,” Grian said. “Me and Mumbo and planting trees at each other’s base to see if we’ll take them down.”

“I saw a tree burning before. Was that a part of your tree war?” Pearl wanted to know.

“Yes, Mumbo hired Scar to help him build a ‘tree to good to take down.’ I took it down in front of Mumbo.”

“So now you want my help to build another tree at Mumbo’s base?” Pearl summed it up.

“Yep. I’m thinking about some sort of tree-monster that picks up his caravan in some way,” Grian explains. “And it gotta look scary.”

“How are we going to make it look scary? It’s a tree,” Pearl pointed out.

“We’ll figure something out,” Grian grinned. “You in?”

“Why not?” Pearl nodded.

“Then let’s go!”

Together they started building the tree, struggling with the shape a little bit. First they put the head too high up, but then they nailed it and the results was stunning. The dripstone worked perfectly as teeth, and they had really managed to make the tree look more or less scary. They had just gone back to Pearl’s base when Mumbo came back from wherever he had been before, and he looked truly confused. Grian and Pearl hid behind some bushes while watching Mumbo who just stared at the odd tree. Then he turned around and noticed Pearl and Grian. He quickly walked towards them, and he looked like he wasn’t sure how to react.

“Do you like it?” was the first thing Grian said when the left the bushes.

“Annoyingly yes,” Mumbo admitted.

“Checkmate?” Grian asked hopefully.

“Yes...” Mumbo nodded. “But thank you for the free base!”

“It kinda feels like I have checkmated myself, because I don’t wanna give this build away...” Grian trailed off, which caused Mumbo and Pearl to burst into a set of laughter.

“Well, I-” Mumbo began, before he got interrupted by some loud voices nearby.

“Why are you so mean Impulse? I’m perfectly mine with my base, thank you!” Scar snapped.

“Oh really? What did I say to insult you and your base huh?” Impulse questioned him. Pearl remembered this was how everything started. Grian, Mumbo and Pearl had burst into action and ended the argument, or at least they thought they had. The tension between Impulse and Scar had made them broke into another argument, which later on became a full-on war. We don’t need to talk about the rest of the story. Pearl ran towards the angry voices before Mumbo nor Grian could react, and arrived just when Scar was about to attack Impulse with his sword.

“Stop!” she called out, and placed herself in front of Impulse as some sort of human shield. Scar hit her instead and Pearl gasped in pain. She hadn’t done this in her last life, so it was a whole new experience for her. She looked down on her chest, just to find a big wound covering half her chest.

“Oh my goodness Pearl! I’m so sorry!” Scar gasped, Impulse just standing there in shock.

“What were you guys even doing?!” Pearl scolded them, trying to ignore the pain. If what she, Grian and Mumbo didn’t had done to remove tension between these two in her last life didn’t work it was time to try a new strategy.

“I may or may not have insulted Scar’s house...” Impulse admitted. “But I’d never actually attack him.”

“Apologize to each other. Now,” Pearl demanded. Blood was flowing steadily from her wound, and she was losing hearts. She knew she would respawn, but respawn always hurt a lot. She deserved the pain for what she had done in her last life.

Just take a deep breath Pearl. All you need is to stop the war from breaking out.

“I’m sorry Impulse for trying to attack you,” Scar sighed. “And I’m sorry Pearl for-”

Scar didn’t have time to finish the sentence before a well-aimed arrow flew towards Pearl and hit her right in her stomach.

And what appeared on the communicator just made things even more confusing.

PearlescentMoon was shot by FalseSymmetry

---

A/N:
Dun-dun-DUUUUUN
What was False doing there? Why did she shoot Pearl? You’ll have to wait and see ;D
(Any theories is welcome tho, I want to see your thoughts)

Also, a thing I forgot to mention is that my best friend is working on a new cover! She’s an amazing artist, and I can’t wait to see what she’ll come up with! You actually thought this trashy cover would be permanent?

I’ll be quite busy in the next couple of days so there might not be a new chapter. I’m also planning on doing a Last Life fanfic, anyone excited to see that? I’ll come up with a release date for that book later.

Thanks a LOT for all the support so far, honestly I’m surprised that someone even reads this book. On top of that, almost 100 reads already! Y’all are INSANE.

Well, aha-dventure aha-waits
~Aha-methyst
(I swear, Last Life is doing something with me)