Chapter XVIII

POV: Xisuma
Xisuma graciously stepped out the portal, almost stepping on the other hermits that were laying on the ground in a big pile. Half of them looked like they were gonna throw up, and half of them looked very dizzy.

Ah, right. He forgot to mention that it would feel very differently from going through a Nether portal.

“Get up,” he urged the hermits who were still laying on the ground. Most of them had gotten up, but leaned against a wall for support. “We don’t have all the time in the world. We need to look like we belong here, so we don’t get taken to the Master. If we do, it’s game over.”

“I’m starting to regret coming here,” Jevin groaned. He slowly rose up from the floor, but almost collapsed again immediately.

“Our goal is to find the source of Pearl’s powers, and I think it’s most likely that Ayoea or Syeani is running an experiment,” Xisuma continued, ignoring Jevin’s comment.

“How powerful are these people, and how did they manage to give Pearl glitched powers so weird stuff happens?” Gem asked, the concerned look shining brightly from her eyes.

“I don’t know, that’s what we’re gonna figure out,” Xisuma sighed.

He signalled the hermits to follow him, and then started walking towards the end of the corridor.

He looked at the sign, and saw that you could find the rooms 97820 - 97829 in the corridor the portal was summoned in.

Oh dear. This place is one big labyrinth, how were they supposed to find one person in this mess?

Xisuma groaned, realising that he didn’t even know which number Ayoea or Syeani were. They got banned almost ten years ago, they could be any number.

“Are you guys new around here? You look disorientated,” a soft masculine voice suddenly asked. He popped around a corner, startling both Xisuma and the other hermits.

“Yeah, we are,” Xisuma lied. It seemed like the other hermits figured they would let him speak, since they had no idea what was going on.

“What number are you guys? I’m number 34587, so I’ve been here for quite a while,” the man explained.

“Umm, we’re numbers 298749 and forward,” Xisuma said carefully, praying that the man wouldn’t see him through. The man shot him a suspicious look before he replied.

“Really? Last time I checked there was only around 270K in here... But actually, that was four months ago. Why are you here though? You’re far away from your rooms.”

“We’re looking for two people called Ayoea and Syeani, they used to be our friends before they got banned. We don’t know their numbers though,” Xisuma explained and took a chance. It was all or nothing.

“Never heard of them, but why not go and look for them in the archives on your computers?” he asked.

“Isn’t the archive room closer?” Stress said out of nowhere. The other hermits discreetly glared at her, wondering what the heck she was going on about.

“Yeah actually, you’re right,” the man agreed after a bit of thinking. “I assume that you can find it yourself?”

“Actually no, just figured it would be closer,” Stress said. “Can you show us there?”

“Of course, I’m on a break either way,” the man said. He seemed to be way nicer than expected for a regular person at the facility, and suddenly Xisuma’s hope rose when he signalled them to follow him.

Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad after all.

---

They walked for what felt like forever. The corridors seemed to be never-ending, and Xisuma was just about to ask if they where there soon when the man came to a halt.

“This room is very rarely used, so there shouldn’t be anyone else,” he informed them. “I wish you best of luck.”

“Thank you so much,” all the hermits said in unison. A moment of silence followed, and then all of them broke into laughter.

“You guys seem nice, I hope we can be friends,” the man smiled.

“Of course,” Xisuma said. Then a pang of guilt hit him. Why were they befriending a person that has been banned? He must’ve done something really dumb to get banned, and he probably wasn’t as nice as his friendly acting suggested.

Cause all the players at the facility were evil, right?

“I’ll go now, see you around friends,” the man said and waved them goodbye. They waved back to him, before the entered the archive.

“Alright, alright, what just happened?” Xb asked when the man was completely out of earshot.

“Stress somehow knew about this archive, and then we got lead here by a seemingly friendly man and agreed to become friends with him, I think?” Hypno summarised.

“Right Stress, you might wanna explain why you knew about this,” Xisuma said as a threat, but it mostly sounded a like a curious child asking their mother why the sky is blue.

“I just took a chance, and it paid off. Since we don’t have any offices, our lie would’ve been seen through either way so this was just luck,” Stress shrugged.

“God you’re amazing,” Gem stated and hugged her. “You really saved our skin there.”

“Thank you luv,” Stress said and hugged her back.

“That aside, should we start looking now?” Wels suggested. He had his arms crossed and tapped impatiently on the floor with his left foot.

“Yeah,” Xisuma agreed and glanced at the hundreds of boxes filled with papers. “Uhh... Where to start?”

“Looks like it’s in alphabetical order,”  TFC said as he examined then a little closer. “I assume that Ayoea would be in one of the first boxes, and Syeani about three quarters through?”

“Sounds reasonable,” Hypno nodded. “I think half of us should look for Ayoea, the other half for Syeani.”

The hermits silently agreed and split into two groups. Xisuma ended up looking for Syeani along with Gem, TFC and xB.

They figured they would start looking in the boxes that had a S on them. In one of the last ones too, because y was one of the last letters of the alphabet.

Xisuma found a bunch of players called Sylvia and Synthia, but no sign of anyone called Syeani. Until xB spoke up.

“Hey, I found someone called Syeani!” he exclaimed and excitedly held up a paper.

“Is it the correct one though? Check the server they got banned from,” TFC suggested.

“Hmm... Oh, nope, false alarm,” he said disappointedly and went back to looking through the papers.

The group looking for Syeani ended up finding nothing, but the one looking for Ayoea soon struck gold.

“We’ve found her!” Stress happily announced and waved with the paper in the air. “All personal data is correct!”

“Geez, finally,” Gem said and waved her forehead. “I was starting to lose hope.”

“She’s number 17829... Did we really ban her that long ago?” Xisuma pondered as he examined the paper. “Well, no time to lose, let’s-”

He was rudely interrupted by someone who stood in the door opening. She a mask covering the bottom half of her face, blonde hair and light brown eyes.

“Oh, you’re looking for me? How adorable,” Ayoea said. “Sorry to break it to you, but your little adventure ends here.”

Behind her appeared tens of others of banned players, all with weapons in their hands. They were outnumbered.

---

Well, that didn’t go to plan

Adventure awaits!
- Amethyst