Chapter XIX

POV: Pearl
Fortunately, nobody was on the other side when she came out through the portal. She immediately collapsed on the floor due to feeling nauseous, but she quickly got up once she heard Xisuma's voice in the distance.

As she couldn't hear what he was saying, she carefully moved closer trying not to make any noise. She soon realised that he was talking to someone else.

"...for two people called Ayoea and Syeani, they used to be our friends before they got banned. We don't know their numbers though," she heard Xisuma say.

"Never heard of them, but why not go and look for them in the archives on your computers?" another person asked, whose voice Pearl didn't recognise.

"Isn't the archive room closer?" someone who sounded like Stress asked.

"Yeah actually, you're right," the mystery person agreed. "I assume that you can find it yourself?"

"Actually no, just figured it would be closer," Stress said. "Can you show us there?"

"Of course, I'm on a break either way," the man said. His words was followed by the sound of footsteps, Pearl assumed that they were leaving. She was left with a choice. Follow them or explore on her own? Maybe she could join the others? Xisuma probably wouldn't be very happy about the fact that she's there, but he can't send her back.

After a while she realised that even if she wanted to follow them, they were too far away now. Pearl was on her own.

She decided to go to the opposing direction, hoping she would stumble upon something helpful. She wasn't sure what her goal was now when she lost the other hermits, but they seemed like the had the situation under control.

The corridors were empty. Considering that there was hundreds of thousands players in here, she couldn't believe her luck.

However, that luck wouldn't last very long as she soon bumped into someone. It happened when she turned around a corner, and she nearly fell over.

"Watch where you're going," the person spat.

"You should do that too," Pearl muttered in response.

"Excuse me?!" the person roared. "Do you know who I am?!"

"Not very significant, apparently," she countered and tried to go past her. A strong hand grabbed her wrist to stop her.

"You're the first person who has dared to stand up against me," he informed her coldly. "If you think that you will get rewarded for your courage, then you're pretty stupid."

Pearl stared at the man with a puzzled look. Who was he? Was he an important person here? Was everyone here like this?

Before she knew it, she felt a sharp pain in her left arm. She looked down to see a deep cut just below her elbow. It wasn't a flesh cut, but it was close to being one.

"Remember to stay alert," the man advised her and dragged a finger over the bloody knife he was holding. "You'll need it. Right now, in fact."

Within milliseconds, he brought his knife forward in an attempt to stab her. However, Pearl reacted just as quick and dodged. It missed her by a millimetre.

"Not bad," the man commented, slightly impressed. "But not good enough either."

He plunged the knife into Pearl's stomach, causing her to fall over. She clenched it tightly, knowing that this might be the end of her journey.

The man prepared to finish her off, when another person came rushing.

"Master, we've been looking for you everywhere!" the person exclaimed. "There's intruders- Oh, sorry if I'm interrupting."

"Intruders, you say?" the so-called Master repeated. "Let me deal with them."

The two left Pearl to bleed out all alone. She could feel an immense pain spreading throughout her entire body, and her vision started to blur. A pool of blood formed around her.

When she thought there was nothing she could do, a sudden sensation of magic spread within her. The wound began to heal, however she felt exhaustion hitting her again. It was like the exhaustion she experienced when she summoned the portal, but ten times worse. The pain had left her by this point, but now it was replaced with dizziness and nausea.

It didn't take long until Pearl passed out of exhaustion.

---

That escalated
The next chapter's probably be the grand finale, so stay tuned for that!

Adventure awaits!
- Amethyst