Chapter VII

POV shift: ???
They just couldn't help feeling that they have done a mistake. Master seemed to be unhappy with them, but the experiment was working perfectly, and they couldn't just quit it now. It's been going on for way too long, and they don't want to restart the whole experiment if Master actually realized how good this experiment what, how much they could learn from it.

They checked the statistics on the computer and nearly started panic when they saw how low the statistics were. That was not good for their experiment. They had to remove a few boats to lessen the lag and higher everyone's FPS before the experiment went wrong in any way.

"Could number 17829 please come to the Master's office?" a voice called out from the speakers. Number 17829. That was them. 17829 swiftly shut down their computer and hurried over to the Master's office, praying not to get lost. They had been there once before, and that was on the tour when they had gotten accepted. And it's been a really long time since the tour. 17829 quietly counted every door he passed. The Master's office was number 1.

After a while of just being lost, 17829 managed to find the row with 1 - 9. Relief flooded through them when they rushed towards the Master's office. The corridor was longer than they had expected, and it took them about thirty seconds just to run there. When they finally reached the office they knocked on the door, worried that Master would be mad at them.

"Come in," Master said, and his voice sounded cold. "Ah, 17829, I've been waiting for you."

17829 shuddered when they met Master's glance. "I apologize for the wait, I'm afraid I got lost."

"You've been working here for at least 20 years now. How did you get lost?" Master questioned them.

"I have never been called to your office, Master," 17829 explained. "I truly apologize."

"I've been looking at the experiment you are doing," Master began slowly. "I do not get the point of it, I see it as a waste of energy. Could you tell me what information you have gotten from it so far?"

"Not much, the experiment isn't finished yet. But when I've got the full results, we're up for a treat," 17829 assured him. "You will not regret it."

"For how long has it been going on now?" Master wondered. 17829 hesitated before he replied.

"Almost ten years now, Master. But I assure you, something very interesting has happened that might get us out of here!"

"Look at for example 200198. They have only been here for about one month, and already gathered some useful information. Then we have you, that's been working on the same experiment for ten years and still have no information?"

"But Master, I-," 17829 began, just to get interrupted.

"You have one month. If you don't have any useful information at that point, we will have to quit your your little experiment and punish you for wasting energy for so long. You are now dismissed," Master announced softly. 17829 stared at them for a while before they ran out of the office.

One month? Master didn't understand! If they got a chance to finish their experiment that could be the key to get them out of here! Realization hit 17829 and they stopped. Master never asked them about what the experiment was... Did Master already know? If Master knew, Master would have understood why they did this! It's for everyone's best...

---

A/N:
Sorry, this chapter was probably pretty confusing. So if you didn't understand it, time to explain!

This chapter was supposed to be mysterious, so not much will actually be explained. But well, you're following 17829's perspective, which isn't their real name but it's some sort of nickname because I don't want to expose their name and their pronouns isn't they / them put I want to keep their gender secret. I really don't want to explain more, you'll get your answers later on in the book.

Don't worry, Pearl and the other Hermits will be back in the next chapter!

Adventure awaits!
~Amethyst