Chapter XVII

POV: Keralis
Keralis was scared. Scared of what the outcome of the whole mission would be.

He was there in season one. He got to know those two girls. Ayoea and Syeani. They were nice, and even though they didn’t talk much he still considered them friends. Just like every other hermit he’s ever met.

But one day they disappeared. Generikb announced that they had been banned, but never told them why. The hermits trusted there was a reason behind it, and that it was classified or something like that.

Keralis wasn’t so sure about that anymore. For all he knew they both could lost in the void or stuck in the facility without any real reason to be there. He’d never know.

Without even realising it, he had been walking towards the place where Pearl built up the portal. And he now stood in front of that place. But his thoughts of that were immediately replaced by the person laying on the ground a few metres away from it, seemingly unconscious.

Keralis quicky recognised the goggles, long blonde hair, green jacket and brown shorts and identified the person as False. He rushed over to her and turned her around so she was laying on her back. A lot of thoughts sped through his mind, and he desperately tried to remember what to do in situations like this. Unfortunately, he was panicking so much that he couldn’t think clearly, and just started at False.

He then came back to his senses and checked if she was breathing. Her chest was rising up and down steadily, calming him a bit. He looked for any signs of damage, but whatever happened must have been internal.

Since Stress wasn’t here, he sent a quick message to Joe telling him to hurry over with a bunch of healing supplies. He sent the coordinates and then turned his attention back to False.

She seemed fine, really. The only thing was that she was unconscious.

“False? Angelface? Can you hear me?” he tried worriedly, but got no response whatsoever.

He just ended up sitting next to her, watching over her like a worried father. Well, he felt like a worried father.

Despite that, he was caught off guard when he heard the sounds of rockets and the sound of an elytra swooshing through the sky. Joe did a not so gracious landing, almost stumbling over and dropping the healing supplies he was carrying. He emptied out his inventory on the ground, and Keralis saw a lot of regen and healing potions, bandages, plasters, things like that.

“Alright, what are we dealing with?” Joe asked whilst sorting all the healing supplies.

“I found False unconscious, she’s breathing and has no visible damage but she’s not responding,” Keralis explained.

“Odd,” Joe frowned. “I’ll do a quick check-up on her here, but if everything looks fine I’ll have to bring her to my base and look closer.”

Then Joe started to a series of medical things, including using a stethoscope and forcing a potion of healing into her mouth. After five minutes or so, ue turned back to Keralis with a confused expression.

“Her heart is beating at a normal, steady rate and she’s breathing normally. There are no signs of external damage, and I couldn’t see any internal damage either but I might have to look closer into that,” Joe sighed. “And since Stress isn’t here, I’ll have to ask Cub for help.”

“What about me, angelface?” Keralis asked. He really wanted to make sure False would be okay.

“You can assist us if you want, but you’ve done your part. I think you should rest and take your mind of it for a while,” Joe assured him, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder and gently squeezing it. “I’m sure False’s fine.”

Keralis nodded, not sure what to say.

“Okay Keralis, I’ll keep you updated,” Joe promised, stuffed all the supplies back in his inventory, gently picked up False and took off in the direction of his base.

---

Keralis could not rest. He was pacing in his base, thinking of how many hermits lives were in danger. False. Every hermit that went to the facility because I can’t bother to name them, and last but not least, Pearl.

All those hermits were exposed to the risk of dying. And Keralis was attached to all those hermits, he was attached to every hermit. They were a big happy family, and he didn’t think he could get over losing one of them. But then again, he got over losing Ayoea and Syeani, right?

Speaking of Pearl, where was that girl? He hadn’t seen since just before she summoned that portal... It’s been five hours, has anyone seen her?

He decided to fish up his communicator out of his pocket and quickly typed in a message asking if anyone had seen Pearl. The chat flooded with no’s.

Keralis felt the worry bubble in him. Where was Pearl? And would False be okay? Would the hermits at the Facility ever come back? What if they were trapped there?

His breathing sped up without him nothing and soon it was rapid and uneven. He started shaking, and realised that if he continued thinking like this he would break down.

And the other hermit didn’t need another hermit to worry about.

Pearl maybe just sat in her base, trying to figure out what was happening to her. False maybe just accidentally swallowed a sleep potion. The hermits at the Facility maybe just went in, swiped the place clean, and then came out with the happy news that they succeeded.

Keralis tried to convince him that that was the case, but he knew the odds of everything being normal were very low.

Joe was right. He needed to rest. The state of the other hermits were slowly taking over his own, and he needed to sort that out so he didn’t become a total wreck.

Everything was fine. Scrap that, barely anything was fine. But everything would be fine, right?

In that moment, Joe’s message was what he needed the least.

<JoeHills Me and Cub ran some tests, and we came to the conclusion that it’s some kind of magic that knocked False out. We suspect Pearl also entered the portal, which increases the risk of the hermits being trapped there. And about False’s condition, we have no idea how to help her wake up. If she’ll ever wake up>

---

Alright so, the news of TFC’s passing kinda threw me off as I made him play a relatively big part in this story. He was a great hermit, the underrated grandpa of the server, and I want to remember him in a respectful way.

It took me some time to figure it out, but unless his family states otherwise I’ll finish this story just like I planned to in the beginning, but not include him in any new stories.

It’s almost been a month, and now I remember his works with a smile on my face.

o7 TFC, hope you’re having a stellar time up in heaven <3
- Amethyst