Chapter 31.

Tuesday rolls around quickly, and what should be the worst day of the week doesn't seem so bad to me anymore. Or at least right now. School was a drag, but that is to be expected, the only thing that made it better was Caleb's consistent texts. He made sure that I was never bored whether it was cute, sweet texts, or raunchy, naughty ones, he kept me on my toes.

Now the three of us walk out of the high school building and towards Caleb's car. I laugh at something Hardin says, noticing Caleb's gaze on me the entire time.

"Some people just don't get you, Hardin," I sympathize, trying not to bust out laughing at the story he just told. Something about his flirting with a girl at the party but she took it the wrong way, I guess telling a girl that her hair looked a lot better when she first arrived can be offensive. Who would have thought.

"That's what I am saying." He shakes his head. "It was meant to be a compliment, you know, that her hair looked great when she first got to the party."

I bite my lip. "It's okay, pal, I'm sure she'll get over it."

"I hope so," he softly says and leans his head against the window, I shoot a look at Caleb through the rearview mirror and stifle a smile when he widens his eyes at me.

We pull into Caleb's driveway and walk into the warm house, the sweet smell of something baking makes my stomach growl in anticipation. Misses Mathews always has something brewing in here, I love it. 

Hardin seems to perk up at the smell and races into the kitchen where Misses Mathews surely has something awaiting him. Caleb winks at me when he passes and I blush. We haven't had much alone time since the night of the party and I would be lying if I said it didn't kill me. I just want to jump his bones every chance I get, but can't for obvious reasons.

I have gotten closer to figuring out how to tell Hardin that Caleb and I are together, but every time I go to do it something stops me. I hate that this secret is being kept from him, but I am beyond scared of how he will react. He isn't like Caleb, and probably wouldn't get that mad, but I also can't be too sure. Mostly because we are his best friends and we have been shacking up behind his back - he might have deep feelings about it and I am not ready.

I'm not ready because I have finally gotten Jeremy out of the picture and although it has only been about two days, I've enjoyed that freedom it's given me. It's as if there is nothing in the way of Caleb and my relationship anymore and that is a great feeling. I would like to enjoy it.

I shake myself from my thoughts and follow after Caleb into the kitchen where Hardin is already devouring the chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. I take one myself and give Misses Mathews a hug in greeting and thanks.

"Caleb," Misses Mathews inquires for her sons attention. "You can still get Nina from the airport this weekend right?"

"Yeah," He nods. "What day and time?"

"Friday at 8 p.m." Is her answer. "Take Ensley with you, I am sure Nina will be excited to see her as well."

He rolls his eyes and I nod in agreement. "Of course I'll go."

I lightly jab his side and his eyes meet mine, where they glint with a certain emotion I cannot pinpoint. It almost relates closest with longing? I can't tell, but I kind of like it. I look away.

"Great!" She claps her hands. "I've gotta run, but you kids enjoy the treats."

I giggle at her and sit at a bar stool next to Hardin. I pat his back as he looks like may be sick, probably from eating too many cookies.

"I ate way too many cookies." I told you. "Help me, Ensley."

I roll my eyes with a smile and he throws his head onto my chest, hugging my body to him. I rub his back and look for Caleb, but he is distracted by his phone per usual.