Chapter 14.

If I were to say that everything was back to normal after Caleb tried to kiss me, I would be lying. We have hardly talked since then and that was on Tuesday...it is now Friday. Now that I know how it has turned out without even having actually kissed him - but almost - it is probably a good thing it didn't happen. Matter of fact it is probably a good thing that we never tried to be anything more than friends.

Anyways, despite all of that going on, I am supposed to be going to the party with Hardin and Caleb tonight. I wasn't going to agree with it, but Jeremy ended up coming over Wednesday night and wanted to go with me. Because we are still trying to keep this whole thing on the down low, I said I would meet him there.

Things with him are going really good, I can see myself falling for him more and more each day. This means that sooner or later we are going to have to make it known to my best friends. That will not go over well.

Wednesday night was fun with Jeremy, though. We did a little hanky panky but mainly lounged around all night and watched movies while stuffing our faces with food. I overall just felt really at peace almost, and it was strange. I never thought I would ever feel this way about a guy.

Now I know.

"Hey Ensley!" Chantelle waves at me and runs over to catch up with my stride.

"Hey," I smile. "Whats up?"

"Nothing much," she says. "I was just wondering if - since you're like best friends - if Caleb is single."

I can't help the twinge of disappointment I feel at her question. Not because she is suddenly interested in Caleb, but I thought she, maybe, just wanted to talk to me. I should've known that was too good to be true.

"Oh uh," I furrow my eyebrows. "I thought you were dating-"

"We broke up on Wednesday," she tells me, some emotion to her voice but not much. They were only dating for like two months after all.

"As far as I know, Caleb is single," I tell her and see her face light up. She puts her hand on my shoulder - looking down at me because I'm a fucking shrimp - and smiles. "Thanks for the help, Ensley."

"No problem," I nod and she walks away, telling me she will see me at the party tonight. Great, I will be able to see her and Caleb doing whatever it is they do.

Hardin and Caleb meet me at my locker before sixth hour just because I won't be seeing them until they pick me up for the party. I decided to drive separate to school today just because I couldn't stand to be in a closed space with Caleb with everything going on.

"What's shaken' bacon?" Hardin sing songs, wrapping his arms around me from behind. I laugh at him and kiss his cheek. He is just too cute.

"What time are we picking you up tonight?" Caleb asks, looking more stoic than usual. I wish he wouldn't act like this. When he acts this way I don't even know how to behave around him. I just want my best friend.

"What time does the party start?" I ask this question even though I already know the answer, because they are all the same.

"Nine."

"Then nine," I answer him. I do not like being there early, but I also don't like being there too late.

"Okay," he nods and we stare at each other for a good ten seconds before I go back to rummaging through my locker.

"Darryl!" Hardin yells and tells us that he'll be right back before he is running after some kid with glasses and curly hair. I shrug, Hardin is strange.

"Look," Caleb starts and gets closer to me. I look at him, because I really do want to know what he has to say. "About the other day..."

"What about it?" I urge him, we are running out of time.