Chapter 40.

Song: Harley's In Hawaii by Katy Perry

"So you guys are really doing this?" Hardin asks, eyeing Caleb and I as we sit on the couch across from him. This time, we decided to do it right with our best friend and tell him right away. There is no use in hiding it when we have made it official anyway, and he should be the first person to know.

"Yeah," Caleb answers, gaze flickering to mine. He grabs my hand in his and brings it to his lap, sending me a smile. I love that smile. "We are."

Hardin blows out a breath and his expression morphs. "It is about damn time. I have been waiting years for you guys to get over yourselves and fuck already."

My face burns, but Caleb laughs. They stand up together and do that weird hand clap that guys do, patting each others back. And then Hardin grabs me from the couch - my shock not registering until it is too late - and hugging me to him. While I am not keen of his comment about our intimacy, I am forever glad that Hardin is giving us his blessing. To be honest, he looks happier that we're together than we are.

"Hardin," I choke, gasping for air as I am squeezed impossibly close to his body. "Please put me down."

He does, laughing along the way, and then rubs a big hand over my hair. Jerk. "This is great news. But, we must set some ground rules."

I exchange a glance with my boyfriend. God, I love saying that. I just love saying it about him, being able to call Caleb Mathews my boyfriend is such a frenzy of emotion for me. To finally be with the boy I have loved since I was little is an extraordinary feeling. I just want to shout it from the rooftops, tell the whole world because that is how truly fulfilling he makes me feel.

"Rules?" Caleb questions his friend. "What kind of rules?"

"Well," Hardin nonchalantly begins. "We can't have you guys making out every few minutes, can we?"

I roll my eyes and plop down on the couch, pulling my legs to my chest as I watch the two boys converse. I have decided to let them take the lead on this way and negotiate to the best possible terms.

"So, first rule, no making out in front of me." I want to laugh at the seriousness behind Hardin's words. "Second, no fucking in the same vicinity as me. That's gross. Three, we don't change."

My body softens for Hardin, suddenly feeling guilty for what he might possibly be feeling by this new reveal. He doesn't want our group to change, for things to remain the same as they were other than the fact that Caleb and I are now a couple. I completely understand where he is coming from and that is why I agree to his rules automatically. I don't ever want Hardin to feel left out, or that he can't hang out with us just because now we are official, he will always be our best friend and nothing can change that. With that being said, I will make sure I make an obvious effort to make him feel as normal as possible.

After the revelation of Caleb and I to Hardin, we all decided to head to Dix Coney Island to get some brunch. Just like old times. I feel like these days were so long ago, getting breakfast after a Friday night party, but in reality it has only been a couple months. It is amazing how much can change in such a short period of time, to go from the same routine every weekend for the past few years to something completely new just like that. I can't say I am unforgiving of it, though, it is a good change.

I hope at least.

"Hardin," I growl, picking the french fry up from my lap. "Throw another french fry at me and I will castrate you. Mark my words."

"I apologize Enzy Benzy," he feens innocence. "I was actually trying to hit the person behind you."

I furrow my eyebrows and look behind me at an empty booth. Deadpan, I twist back around only to be hit yet again with a french fry. Why am I friends with these fools again?