Chapter 44.

Song: Closer by Ne-Yo (how Caleb feels about Ensley <3)

Caleb's POV.

Greetings and hugs are thrown my way from the excessive amount of family I have been gifted, and while I try my best to give them my attention, I can't seem to stray from Ensley. She was so nervous when I had told her we'd be coming to dinner tonight, and even after my attempt to loosen her nerves, she was still slightly shaken in the car. Now, it's like she's been to a thousand of these little family gatherings.

She is smiling brightly at every aunt, uncle, and cousin; giving the warmest hug to my grandmother. I watch her interact with a fizzling feeling in my chest, almost as if all the love I feel for her can't fit inside of me and is boiling out of my pores. It's such a strange feeling, though, watching her converse with my family. It's like looking through a crystal ball and seeing our future together; going to these events as a duo. My smile gets larger at the thought.

"Ensley looks lovely." I turn my head slightly to peer down at my mother who is gazing in Ensley's direction - who is currently gushing with my cousin Braylee and Nina. She does look lovely - no, striking. Absolutely gorgeous; the star of the group.

Ensley has a smile that could light up a whole room and in this case, it lights up the entire restaurant. Her laugh is infectious, traveling through the space in a perfect symphonic melody.

"She does," I nod, not hiding the smile that as permanently scarred my face.

My mother gives me a knowing look, but walks off before I can chastise her for it. Moments later, after all greetings have been met, we all sit at the large table that fits fifteen. Ensley is to my left with Nina right beside her, and my father is to my right.

"Do you have to be so close to me?" I growl at my father who I feel is quite literally sitting on top of me. "I can hear you breathing."

"Not my fault we're packed like sardines," he cackles, making his point when he points to my mother who is about the same distance to him. "And I can hear your breathing too. It's not a fun time."

I roll my eyes and take a drink of my water. "At least I don't sound like an out of breath bulldog."

He gives me a look. "Are you calling me fat?"

I can't help but snort at his appalled expression. My father is in no way fat, but he definitely is not a small guy. He's packed with muscle from years of football and weight training. "Well, I'm not calling you skinny."

"You little shit-"

"Colten." I hurriedly shut my mouth when my mother's voice comes into play, luckily her disdain is pointed at my father. "Can you act your age for once?"

"He started it," dad defends, but my mom isn't having it.

"My point exactly," she disgustingly looks at him, but gives him no more time as she turns to my Aunt Brittni. After her attention has fallen elsewhere I can't help the loud guffaw that escapes my mouth.

"You're just going to let him run all over you like that?" Uncle Jackson chips in, looking shocked which only increases my laughter.

"What do you suggest I do?" My dad exasperates, raising his hands in the air. "Nikki doesn't let me do shit to him?"

"Who the fuck cares?" Jackson is wide eyed. "Pop the little asshole-"

"I'm sorry?" Jackson shuts up when my mom intervenes once more, I can only assume she's glaring daggers at him. "Are you promoting the action of my husband beating my baby?"