Chapter 51.

Song: From the D to the A by Tee Grizzley

"You know what I think?" Caleb laughs out, glancing at Hardin from the rearview mirror.

"I don't give a fuck what you think," Hardin snootily responds which only has Caleb laughing harder. I admire the way he does the small notion, it is so contagious. I find myself chuckling along with him even though I haven't been following along with the conversation. All I know is that Hardin was complaining about our affectionate moments and Caleb decided to tease him about it.

While I am usually against going to parties held by our classmates, I am kind of excited to attend this one. This week - while good in most parts - has seemed to drag on and really drain me mentally. Dealing with my classmates proved to be a lot harder than I had thought it would be, the most deadly rumor coming from my ex-friend Chantelle. Granted, we weren't very close, but I had thought we were at least acquaintances that could tolerate each other; clearly I was wrong. After she had found out about Caleb and I, she immediately started talking, it was only a matter of time before the real stinger came about. I could deal with randoms that I had never met commenting and laughing, but someone I had considered a friend doing me dirty never crossed my mind.

I haven't told Caleb, obviously. I have tried all week to keep him out of the petty drama that seemingly consumed my life at this point. It really wasn't a big deal, anyway, but I am worried that he will hear what Chantelle has been saying and really go off the rails. He won't take too kindly to someone calling me a whore I would imagine.

This all leads back to why I had decided to come to the party tonight, though, after telling Ellie about all of the nasty things that have been being said about me, she insisted I come tonight. She said it would solidify my relationship with Caleb and make me look strong; like no matter what these losers at Lincoln Park High School say, nothing will come between us. After debating it for quite a bit, I saw the appeal and agreed to it. Shannon and Ellie will be helpful as well; they are my best girl friends after all.

"I think you need to grow up my friend," Caleb chides, tsking in the most sarcastic and obnoxious way ever.

"Shut up!" Hardin yells and Caleb busts out laughing, so much so that I fear he will steer us off the road.

"Boys," I shake my head. "Relax please. No need to get your panties in a bundle."

"They're not," Hardin pouts, putting his chin on top of my seat. "Tell your boyfriend to quit being mean to me."

I giggle lightly and pat his head. "Hardin is right, Caleb, you shouldn't be so rude to him."

He shoots me a look, but Hardin seems satisfied as he leans back in his seat with a giddy smile like he just won the gold medal at the olympics. That settles things then.

Finally we get to the house where the party is being held and get out of the car. Caleb doesn't let me hop out until he opens my door, though, helping me out in the process.

"Kiss ass," Hardin whispers when he passes by Caleb and I snort. Caleb shoves Hardin, though which is the reaction I was expecting.

"Fuck off," Caleb hisses, but I see the smile tugging at his lips.

The weather is still cold - it is still winter after all - but it isn't nearly as bad as it's been and feels nice when we walk to the house. There is a drastic change in temperature when we step through the door, though, but that is to be expected.

"Ensley!" I look over my shoulder to Ellie and Shannon hurrying over to me with large smiles and solo cups. "You made it!"

"I said I would," I laugh and feel Caleb leave my side to head towards the kitchen. I assume he will make me a drink. "Have you guys been here long?"