Chapter 8.

"Good thing I don't care," Caleb smiles at me from his rearview mirror

"Good thing I don't care," Caleb smiles at me from his rearview mirror. I'm yet again held against my will in his car, on my way to yet another party I did not want to attend, in clothes I do not want to be wearing with people I would rather not be with. Friends.

The deal was that since I did not go to the party held last night, that I have no choice but to tag along to this one. The deal is stupid, but to not create suspicion I decided to go. To be one-hundred percent I would rather be hanging out with Jeremy right now. Ever since last night, all I could think about was him; his smile, his laugh, his lips...I am a goner.

"You're a dick," I spit, poking my head between the driver and passenger seat. "Isn't he a dick, Hardin?"

My best friend laughs and nods. "Yes, Ensley he is."

Caleb shoots us both glares and we laugh. "I didn't see you trying to stop me from pushing her into the car, Hardin, actually I think you helped."

I nod, this is true. They both forced me against my will to attend this party, that means they should both be as guilty, but difference is that Caleb is an asshole. An asshole that I love even though I shouldn't.

"We're here," Caleb says and I feel the car shutter to a stop. Ugh. I roll my eyes as we all get out of the car and start walking up the pathway of the house. I hate the fact that I can feel the bass of the music under my feet, I hate the heavy layer of smoke that spews out from the doorway, and I hate the grinding teenagers in the living room. This is not my scene and it really never has been.

"I'm getting a drink," I huff and go to head in that direction when a hand clasps around my wrist. I turn around to Caleb who looks concerned. It is a look that I have seen before, but one that hardly ever shows.

"Ensley," he breathes and my heart flutters. Dammit. Looking into his hazel eyes, I get lost in them. I almost forget how to function, and It is a feeling I am all too familiar with.

"What?" I question, my own voice equally as breathless as his.

"I-" I cling onto the one letter word that gets disrupted because a friend of his comes up to him. His grip loosens and eventually slides off of my wrist. Disappointed, I resume my mission on getting a drink.

As intense as that moment just was, I refuse to let it get to me. It will never happen, and I have Jeremy now. Or do I? I do not know, but regardless my vacant crush on Caleb Mathews can not resume.

I've been standing here for around ten minutes pitying myself - which is very productive clearly - while also wishing I had better friends. Not that they are all that bad or anything, but I don't think normal friends drag their other friends to parties that the have repeatedly denied going to. Or maybe they do, I don't know, I've only ever had guy friends.

"Boo." I jump, spinning around straight into the chest of a male. Not just any male, though, Jeremy Hale.

"Jesus," I breathe, slapping his chest. He laughs at me. "Don't do that. I almost had a heart attack."