Chapter Thirteen - Get A Wife!

Ajinke's POV;

It's been weeks since I started spending time with Muyiwa, and being with him has become a regular thing for me. He's funny, fun to be with, caring, and cute.

He has the most adorable mannerisms and knows the right words the say to bring a smile to life on my face.

Right now, we are in one of the green fields of the palace.

We are laying down and admiring the clouds when my ears pick up a faint hissing. I steal a glance at Muyiwa but find his lips sealed and gaze fixed on the sky. The sound didn't come from him.

I pay close attention and hear the hissing again. This time, more prolonged, and my eyes widen in fear as I realize what it is.

"Muyiwa, get up! "I yell in fear, and he jumps in fright.

"What is it?" He questions in alarm as he sits up.

"Stand up! "I yell at him, and he instantly obeys.

I stand to my feet and pay close attention again while standing in front of Muyiwa.

"What is it?" He questions in confusion, and a little bit of fear.

"Listen! "I reply in a harsh whisper, and he falls silent. I listen again, and after a few seconds of silence, I hear it again.

Just then, I locate it. The source of the sound. A snake. Green, fat, and long snake.

"It's a snake, "I say to Muyiwa.

"What? Where? Get behind me! "He orders and I roll my eyes.

"Relax. It's not something I can't handle. It's just a snake..." I reply, but I'm cut off when he drags me behind him.

I stumble and almost fall back when Muyiwa takes wild steps back. The snake had tried to bite his feet. I watch in awe as Muyiwa goes after the snake.

After shirking, and yelling out to him to be careful, he finally captures the snake by its head. Tight enough for the snake not to be able to escape.

The snake stings Muyiwa with its tail, and Muyiwa lets go. Just as the snake makes to attack us again, he goes after it, and soon enough, the snake's head is battered under his bare feet.

I watch Muyiwa pant and look at me in pride, and I smile. From what I've just seen, he is very experienced in dealing with snakes, and we just escaped this attack by luck.

"Are you hurt? "He questions and I shake my head.

" No. You? "

"I'm fine. I didn't give it a chance to bite me. "He replies, and I smile.

'You gave it a lot of chances to, but the goddess chose to save you. ' my subconscious replies, but I inhale deeply and thank the goddess that the words didn't escape my lips.

" Come, let's leave here. I don't want to be attacked by another snake. It won't be nice if you get bitten. "He says as he grabs my wrist, and I look at his flawless face as he walks past me and begins to pull me away.

I smile as he doesn't know how rough I am. I've dealt with snakes so many times, I feel I deserve some sort of award. I've lived 18 years of my life to the fullest. Doing things people tag as boy's play and the likes.

Yet, he's treating me like some little doll that mustn't get hurt. I have to admit, I like the attention. I've never felt this way before. It's a beautiful feeling.

I never thought I'd ever want to feel this way, but now that I do, I don't think I want to stop feeling what I'm feeling. It feels like something I need. Like fireflies dancing about in my tummy.

I smile at myself as different pictures of the possible lives I can live with Muyiwa begin to play in my mind. I'm 18, and Muyiwa is 20, but that means nothing to me. Even if he were older, it won't change the way I feel about him.

I feel different. Excited, and happy to be around him. Does he feel the same way for me though?

Adebiyi's POV;

I'm marching towards the palace's throne room with guards behind me. Maids bow as I walk past, but I keep my head straight. There's no point acknowledging them, cause if I do, I'd greet over a hundred maids before getting to the throne room, and I'm not ready for that stress.

My father called for me, and I am earnestly hoping that he didn't call me to discuss what I think this is about.

I get into the throne room and find my mother sitting beside my father, and the chiefs sitting on their chairs. One roll of chiefs at one side of the room, and the other roll opposite the first, with my parents between them, and facing me.

Standing this way, I'm between them all. I hear the room's doors shut, and I bow.

"*E karo, bami.*E karo Mami. "I greet my parents.

*E karo bami = Good morning my father,
*E karo Mami = Good morning my mother.

I bow to the chiefs, and stand with both my hands before me, with fingers of both hands interlocked. Waiting for my father's words.

"Good morning, Adebiyi. "My father says, and I stare at him. Wondering why he called a meeting with me and the chiefs.

"As we all know, your coronation is fast approaching."My father says, and I roll my eyes shut as I know where this is going.

" And you still don't have a wife. You also haven't told us how you want your wife picking ceremony to be. "He says, and I open my eyes.

" What's going on? "He questions.

" My king, as I've said before, I don't want or need a wife picking ceremony. With all due respect, I believe it's a waste of time.

I will present the girl I want, to you. When I'm ready. "I state, and my mother's voice sweeps the room.

" Don't talk like that Adebiyi. You know that we have to consult the goddess in everything we do in this kingdom.

Especially when it's something as big as selecting the next queen of the kingdom! "My mom says, and I fall silent.

" Adebiyi. I'd advise you to pick a girl for yourself soon enough, otherwise, your mother and I would be made to present the girls of our choice to the goddess.

And you'd have to get married to whichever one of them she chooses. "My father says, and I stare up at him with wide eyes.

" But my coronation is still three months away! "I state in alarm.

" Time flies. The sooner, the better! "My mother replies.

"We can't give the kingdom a king without a wife!" She adds, and I stare in awe.

"Some of the chiefs as you already know, have well-to-do daughters. You can pick your queen from amongst them." My father says, and I inhale in frustration.

"There's no need for that, my king. My wife is not amongst them.

I'd find my wife myself. I don't need help finding her." I reply, and the chiefs gasp. A bit offended by my words, but I don't care if the truth offended them. None of their daughters intrigue me.

They're either fake, too fake, cheap, mannerless, proud... The horrid list is long. I've met them all, and I can't ever picture myself spending forever with any one of them.

I did like some when I was younger, but that was when I was still a naive boy. Now I know much more than I used to, and I refuse to make a mistake that will frustrate the peace and joy in my life.

"May I leave, my king? I'd like to be somewhere else. " I reply, and my father looks at my mother. She sighs in frustration, and my father nods and waves his hand.

I bow my head at all of them in the room and help myself out.

If I'm going to settle down with anyone. It has to be the one. When I meet her, I'd know she's the one. The girls around me are just too simple and common.

My queen won't be like them. She'd be unique, different, she'd be...

"Ajinke!! "