Chapter 58 - It Doesn't Matter

The following chapter contains mature content. Do read with caution.

Ajinke POV ;

I've spent days in this horribly frigid place. Five days to be precise. Today is the celebration party, Muyiwa threw for us. He says he wants the people of Olakunle village, to know his wife.

I'm not really worried about this party. I'm rather hopeful. Hopeful that somehow, someone from Akomojo, who knows my face, would be at the party, and see me.

If that happens, the person might go to the king and tell him what they've seen. Then the king would send his soldiers to come and save Adebiyi and me.

My three maids are in the room with me, whispering amongst themselves in a corner. They are free around me, and I like it that way.

Bisire, Ayobami, and Iyabo are nice girls. And this is one of the reasons why I feel like they can be of help to me.

"Can you all please come? "I say from the bed on which I'm sitting, and they turn to me. I said it like I asked a question, but they all know it's an order.

They obediently come to the bed, and stand in a straight line, staring at me.

"Yes, princess? "Bisire speaks, and I inhale deeply as I cover myself properly with the blanket.

"Please, sit. "I say to them while pointing at the bed with my eyes, and they share looks amongst themselves.

"Princess, we can't... Sit on your bed. "Iyabo replies, and I roll my eyes.

"Please drop the formalities. I'm human, just like you. Sitting on my bed won't harm me. Besides, it's an order. "I reply, and they steal looks at each other again, before obeying.

Ayobami is the first to sit, and I smile. Once they have all sat, I begin.

"Do you guys have dreams and hopes? "I question, and they give me confused looks.

"I... Don't understand. "Bisire speaks, and I smile.

"I mean, what are your dreams? Your plans? Hopes and things you wish to accomplish before you die. "I explain, and their faces fall into sober expressions.

"My dream is to get married to the man I love. I've liked him since I was a little girl. He's the son of the village's most famous palm wine tapper. 

Remi. He's so perfect and every time becomes to deliver wine to the king, I see the way he looks at me. But he's never come to speak with me.
I'm deeply in love with him, and my dream is to have a family with him. "Iyabo speaks, and I turn to her in awe. I wasn't expecting any one of them to open us so easily.

She looks up at me and smiles with a blush, and I smile back.

"My dream. My dream is to be able to see my mother again and to own a massive restaurant. I was taken away from her when I was just 10 years old. She had taken a loan, and couldn't pay. The creditor forcefully took me away from her as his payment, and then he sold me to this kingdom as a royal maid.

My mom used to own a small canteen. I want to make her proud by owning a massive restaurant. "Bisire narrates, and I stare in awe.  Why would life tear a mother, and child apart like that?

I turn to Ayobami, who's still silent, and I question her.

"And what is your dream? "

"I don't have a dream. Neither do I have any other purpose to live, than to serve. I'm okay with where I am and what I have. Dreaming big here could cost you your life.

In this kingdom, in this palace, the only thing that's allowed to fill the minds of maids is ways to please King Adedamola. Even breathing without his consent can cost you dearly. So who am I to have a dream or vision? "She replies, and the room falls silent. The other two look at her, and their faces fall into sorrow.