Chapter Seventeen -Why Is My Life Like This?

Muyiwa's POV;

“It's not fair! “I yell as I keep pacing about the living room.

“Muyiwa, calm down. Getting angry won't do anything. It won't save the girl, and neither would it change your father. “ My mother says, and I shut my eyes as I keep pacing about.

“For heaven’s sake. She's still young. Just 18 years old. Why is daddy behaving like this? Has he forgotten that he also has a daughter? “I complain in irritation, and my mother glares at me.

“Muyiwa! Take that back. Nothing of that sort will happen to my daughter! “She exclaims and I scoff.

“*Mami, you seem to have forgotten that the goddess is not asleep. What goes around will come around. Daddy is endangering Motilayo! “I state in honesty and anger.

*Mami =My mother

“God forbid! Your father's nonsense will not affect my innocent child. My daughter did not do anything, so the goddess will keep her safe. “My mother says, and I roll my eyes.

I can't help the images of Ajinke's terrified face that keep flashing in my mind. She was so scared, and I couldn't even help her. Only heavens know what my disgusting father is doing to her now.

“ Argh! “I grunt in annoyance. Ignoring my mom's present.

“I have to talk to him. This can't continue. I've had enough! “ I conclude, and my mother looks up at me in shock.

“Ah, Muyiwa, *joor. **Ma se be. I'm begging you. You know what happens when your father gets angry.

I'm not done healing from the last one. Please don't do anything that will rile him. He will kill me. “ My mother begs as she falls to her knees, and my heart wrecks.

*Joor =Please
**Ma se be =Don't do that/ Don't do like that.

My mother and father have been married for over twenty years, but the love in their marriage has been long dissolved, and they are just staying together to save face.

Besides, if my mother leaves my father, or he sends her out, she'd be homeless as she has no family to return to. She was an orphaned maid, my father bought and love came into the picture.

But it was love that couldn't stand the test of time. Now, the woman my father once loved has become a punching bag to him. Whenever he's angry, whether it's her fault or not, he derives pleasure and peace from battering her.

I don't know what she did to attract such hatred from the man who once loved her, but it kills me to see the state he always leaves her in.

At the beginning of all this, she tried to hide the truth from me, but a leopard can't hide its spots. My father cared less if I knew or not.

He'd hit her in my presence or absence. I couldn't stop him from taking Ajinke, cause the choice I had to make was between my mother and the girl I'm in love with.

If I had set him off, no doubt he'd take it out on my mother, and she hasn't even recovered from the injuries he last inflicted on her.

I pull my mother off her kneels and into a hug. I pat her hair gently as she weeps on my bare chest, and suddenly, there's a violent round of knocks on our door.

I head to the door, open it, and find my father with about five royal guards behind him. From the stony expression on his face, it's clear that something bad has happened.

But what? He shoves me aside and makes his way into the house, and the guards follow.

Where is Ajinke? What's going on? What has this crude father of mine done this time? And why are there royal guards here?

Did they catch him trying to molest Ajinke, and they're here to arrest him? My mother and I watch confused as my father begins to bring out all the royal items in our possession.

However, my heart drops, and it all makes sense when he hands over his chieftain staff and beads.

That's only done when a chief is relinquishing his title as royal chief.

“*Bami? “I call in worry as he hands over his beads to a guard, and he gives me a stink eye.

*Bami = My father

The guards leave the house, and my mother and I stare in confusion at my boiling father.

“You, come here! “He barks at my mother, and she takes hold of my wrist in fear.

This mad man wants to hit my mother again!

” I said, come here! “He barks further, and my terrified mother begins to tremble.

She begins to cry and question him on what happened in fear, but he doesn't answer. I shut my eyes as he pulls my mother from my side and harshly drags her into their room.

Motilayo is not around as I sent her to our neighbor's house to play with her friends. I did that to get her mind off what happened earlier.

My mother's yelp comes from the room, and I know my father has begun his usual abuse. I run to our backyard and kick my leg into the sand before screaming in anger.

Why is my life like this? Why is this happening?

I feel so useless, helpless, and stuck. My father is making my life miserable!