Chapter 43 - Your Duty

Ajinke's POV;

It's been days since prince Adebiyi made the announcement of getting married to me, and I must say, this has changed things drastically.

Everywhere I go, a handful of people bow to me, and some glare at me like I've stolen something that belonged to them.

The palace had begun to undergo different types of decorations, and with every passing day, my anxiety has been building like nothing I've ever felt before.

I didn't tell anyone about Muyiwa, because I know he's bluffing. He can't do anything. I just know that he won't.

I'm in the prince's room, sitting a the edge of his bed, and he's looking out his window, at the preparations being made.

"Are you nervous? "He questions with his back turned to me, and I swallow.

"A bit. "I reply before looking down at my nails and rubbing my thumb.

"You don't have to be. No matter what happens, we'd still be together. "He says, and I shut my eyes.

That's my fear! Asakes words have been running on repeat in my head none stop. Does he love me or not? I'm going to get married to the prince, but I don't know if he loves me.

The bride picking ceremony would be happening soon. What happens if the goddess doesn't choose me for the prince? What then?

I've always dreamed of getting married to a man who would love me with his whole heart and being. The same way I'd love him.

But here I am. I'm going to get married to the prince and I doubt that he loves me. What is a loveless marriage going to be like?

"Ajinke? "His voice brings me back to earth, and I look up at him. Apparently, he's been talking to me, but I wasn't listening.

"What's bothering you? "He questions as he walks over to me, and sits beside me, and I shut my eyes. I think it's best I speak my mind. If anything happens, at least I'd know that I wasn't silently watching my life turn upside down.

"Us. "I reply, and I feel the confusion on the prince's face.

"Us? What do you mean? "He questions, and I swallow.

"My prince, our marriage ceremony is fast approaching, and I... I have no idea what you feel for me. My prince, I'm just a common maid, and I'd be getting married to you. There are so many things going on in my head, and I... I don't know what to believe.  "I begin as I rise to my feet and turn my back to the prince.

"My prince, please let me know. Why are you planning on getting married to me?

I... I know I have no right to question you, but I... I just want to know where I stand. I... I want to know what this truly is.
I... I don't want to make the mistake of seeing this as what it's not. "I continue. Stumbling over my words, and not knowing the right words to use.

"Do... Is... Is there any chance that... That the prince truly wants me or..."I begin but stop myself. This was a stupid idea. What was I thinking? How on earth do I plan on conveying my thoughts without sounding stupid to the prince.

I gasp in shock when I feel the prince's hands on my waist, and his cheek cradled on my shoulder in such a way that his lips are touching my neck.

I shut my eyes as I feel his breath on my neck. And as my body takes note of the warmth of his palms on my bare waist, I feel a tingling sensation between my legs.

"Ajinke, do you know what I adore the most about you? "He questions, but I remain silent as I don't trust my voice.

"Your innocence and purity. There's just something about you that strikes differently. I've seen many girls and I have been around many of them, but none of them intrigue me as you do. "He says, and my breath becomes unsteady as his breath keeps fanning my neck.