Chapter Twenty- Four Please

Ajinke's POV;

I stare with wide eyes as he dusts his shorts, and he looks up at me. We both remain motionless as he stares at me, and I inhale deeply and look away.

I don't know if to keep doing what I was doing or go back inside. I didn't expect to see him anytime soon, and I haven't thought about him in a long while, and now that he's here before me, my brain has abandoned me.

I jump in fright when I hear his voice so close to me. I didn't notice him walking over to me.

“Ajinke, do you now hate me that much? You won't even look at me. “He says, and I stare up at him. His big brown eyes glistening under the moonlight.

“Ajinke… Say something. You can't… You can't possibly not want me around anymore… “He says, and I swallow as he takes hold of my shoulders.

He locks my gaze with his, and I get lost in his perfect eyes and aura. My breath becomes hard as I stare at him.

He's so close, and this closeness makes me realize how intense my feelings for him actually are.

I suddenly remember what he did on that horrid day, and I push him away.

“Muyiwa, please leave. “I say to him. Trying to blink away the tears threatening to fall.

“Ajinke… I'm sorry. I swear. I… I… It was either you or my mother. If I had saved you, my mother would have had to pay for it…

I… I was confused. I didn't know what to do. I… I was… Ajinke… You have to believe me, it wasn't an easy choice… “He says, and my heart falls at his words.

“But you made it anyway! “I yell at him and a tear finally falls from my eyes.

“Muyiwa, I'd never be selfish enough to tell you not to pick your mother over me, but I can't forget that day.

How easy it was for you to turn your back on me when I was petrified to my bones.
Muyiwa… You may not know this… But every girl wants a man who would see her as his world.

I… I can't be an option to anyone. I'm either a priority or nothing to them. “I say to him, and his jaw falls.

“What would you have had me do? “He questions.

“I can't make your choices for you, Muyiwa!

You knew your father intended to rap me, and you let him take me! Who does that, Muyiwa? “I scream at him, and he shakes.

He falls silent for a few seconds, and then he speaks.

“Ajinke, yes… I messed up. I was an idiot, and I don't even feel bad about the punishment my father got.

He deserves it. But Ajinke… I… I can't live with myself knowing that I've probably lost you… I… I… “He begins, and I cut him off.

“Lost me? Muyiwa, you can only lose what you once had. Do you know that? “I question, and he stares at me in hurt.

“Muyiwa, do you know the intensity of your actions that day? I'm sorry to say, but you were a coward!

You claimed to care about me, and you let your father take me away! You left your father to rape the girl you supposedly care about.

Do you know how messed up that is? “I scream at him, and he makes to speak, but I cut him off.

“What are you even doing here? What do you want from me? I never want to see you again. Just, leave! ” I yell at him in anger, and his eyes widen.

“Ajinke, please… Don't do this to me. I love you. It was… I didn't mean… It was a mistake. Please…

I'm sorry… “He begs as he begins to weep, and his confession of love to me, and the sincerity in his voice hits me.

“You love me? You love me! What would we be saying now if your disgusting father had had his way with me? If the prince had not come to my aid?

What!?

Muyiwa, leave! Please! “I cry, and he falls to his knees and bows before me.

“Ajinke, please. I'm sorry. I love you. I've never felt like this for anyone. Your hatred will kill me. Please don't do this to me. “He begs as he grabs my leg, and I gulp.

I rush into the building after shaking him off my leg, and I come back out with the anklets he made me. The ones he gave me the very next day after our first meeting.

I throw them at him,

“Take those things and leave! I never want to see you again, Muyiwa! Don't ever come close to me again!

I want to forget what your father did to me and to achieve that, I have to forget what you did as well. Which means I have to forget you!

Please leave before I call the guards. “I say to him, and he looks up at me like I just shot an arrow through him.

“Ajinke… Please don't do this… “He begs, but I cut him off,

“Guards! “I scream, and he rushes to his feet.

He stares at me with pained eyes and looks down at the anklets in his hands.

I look away as my tears begin to pour like water from a broken pot.

“I'm sorry… I really am… “He whispers before walking back to the fence. He looks back at me one more time before climbing it and jumping over. I shut my eyes before running into my and Asake's room and hugging her, even though she is sleeping.

She wakes up and finds me crying while holding on to her, and she wraps her arms around me without asking a single question.

I… I feel something for Muyiwa. Something strong… I don't know if it's love, but it hurts that I have to let him go.

No girl wants a coward, and I… I can't tie myself to a man I'm not sure will protect me in the face of danger, regardless of what it is.

His offense is just… Unforgivable. I… I can't give myself to a man who can't shield me…

I can't…