Chapter 36 - Lock Her Up!

Ajinke's POV;

A nasty fight between this massive beast, and the men, breaks out, and I just stand and watch in horror as it begins to fling men all over the place.

The prince and very few guards are left, and I gulp as the giant cat begins to circle the men. The guards charge towards the leopard, and it flings them away and keeps its gaze on the prince.

I watch in horror as it begins to growl deeply at the prince. I pick up a stone and throw at it.

“Leave him alone! ” I scream, but once the beast turns to me, my knees turn to jelly and I lose my courage. I whimper in fear as the beast begins to run towards me.

I hear the prince scream my name before I turn around in an attempt to run, but a sharp pain takes over my back, and I scream before falling to the ground.

I turn in pure pain and find the leopard has made its way back to the prince. Tears of pain escape my eyes as I watch the prince fight skillfully for his survival.

The leopard keeps tearing and hurting the prince, and I keep wondering how the prince is managing to endure all that pain and keep fighting. I got hit once and haven't been able to get up.

The leopard manages to throw the prince to the ground, and I scream in horror as it leaps to land on the prince.

The leopard suddenly lets out a troubled growl and after some slow movements, it stops moving. I take a closer look and realize that the prince had impaled it with his spare. Taking its life.

The prince manages to throw the beast off him, and he turns to me. He stands up and now, under the clear rays of the sun, I can see how badly he's been hurt. Seemingly deep lines of red and pink have been drawn all around his perfect dark skin, and he's bleeding seriously.

“Are you okay? ” He questions me, and I gulp once again in pain. Wondering how he's able to bear so much pain. Isn't he feeling the stinging sensation of sweat and heat upon his open wounds, like I'm feeling?

I make to stand up, but just then, the prince staggers and falls to the ground.

“Prince? ” I call in worry, but he gives me no reply. He's losing too much blood!

With strength, I never knew I had, I push myself up to my feet and rush over to the prince. I take his face in my hands and begin to shake his cheeks gently. Hoping and praying to the goddess that he'd open his eyes.

“Your highness, please wake up. Open your eyes. Please. ” I beg, but he gives me no reply.

I look around in alarm, but every other person appears to be dead, passed out, or severely wounded.

“Dear goddess, please help me. Don't let this happen. ” I beg with tears running down my eyes. Yes, I'm still hurting from the injury on my back. It feels as though my whole back is on unquenchable fire, but this pain is nothing compared to the fear I'm currently feeling.

A fear I never knew I had. Fear of losing the prince. Is it the fear of him dying on my watch, or the fear of him no longer being alive? I don't know what it is, but now, it's the only thing flowing through my veins and mind.

I rush to the river and take a big scoop of water. I rush back to the prince and pour it on his face, but he doesn't respond. I put a finger under his nose and find that he's still breathing.

After several failed attempts at the same thing, I rush over to the soldiers. I try my best to wake them, and luckily for me, I can wake some. However, the number I am able to wake is not up to half of the number of men that came here initially.