Chapter Twenty-five - Stop!

Muyiwas POV;

I am walking with zero zeal, back to my house, under the silver clothing of the moonlight.

Every door is shut, curtains drawn, lights off, and heads on their pillows. The only source of light I have is the moon.

I look down at the anklets in my hand, and my heart aches afresh.

Ajinke…

In all my life, no one ever struck me like she did. I knew from the very first time I saw her, that I wanted her.

I never planned to be like many other men. I wanted to bring her happiness, joy, love, care, and the whole world if she wanted.

But now, she doesn't even want to look at me. Because I was a coward, and because I've been cursed with such a sick father.

I make my way to one of the streams on the palace grounds and sit beside it.

“Dear, goddess. Why did you give life to me if you knew that pain would be all I'd ever feel?

Why did you make that man my father if you knew he'd only bring sorrow to me?

Why did you make me a man if you knew I will be such a terrible coward?

Why did you make me meet Ajinke if you knew I'd lose her?

Why did you let me love her when you knew that she'd later hate me so much?

Why? Dear mother, why? “I lament as fresh tears begin to pour from my eyes.

I never meant to be such a coward. All my life, I never found a way to stand up against my father, and that day, I just… I just went blank.

I… I don't know what to do. Ajinke is beautiful and perfect. She deserves the best… And it hurts that I'm not what she deserves.

It's sickening to know that that horrible bastard is still in our house, tormenting my poor mother!

It hurts that things turned out the way they have.

I clench the anklets in my hands, as anger, hurt, pain, and regret begin to rush through me.

I had pictured so many beautiful things for Ajinke.

“I love you, Ajinke. I honestly do! “I weep into the still night, and I choke on my sobs.

*********

I'm in the living room, resting against a wall, and Motilayo is busy playing with her doll in a corner.

“What is this!? “My father suddenly screams at my mother, who just placed a tray of food before him.

“*Okọ mi, it's… Food. “My mother timidly replies, and I don't avert my gaze from the ceiling, where it has been all along.

*Ọkọ mi =My husband

“It's food! Who do you expect to eat this nonsense? Go and get me proper soup with goat meat! “My father yells in reply, and I shut my eyes.

“Ọkọ mi, there's no more food in the house. When we were still in the chief's area and had little money, I asked you for money for food… But you didn't give me an answer.

I had to use the last change on me to buy *garri from **Iya Kunbi, and I even got the ***ila on credit. “I listen to my mother narrate, and I inhale deeply.

*Garri = Cassava flour

**Iya Kunbi = Kunbis mother

***Ila =Okro

The room is suddenly taken up by the sound of a slap, and I tear my eyes open but do not avert them from the ceiling.

“Are you mad? You're trying to accuse me in front of my children. You want them to think I'm irresponsible, *abi? “

*Abi =Right?

“*Oko mi, ko ri bee… “My mother begins with a shaky voice in an attempt to explain herself, but she's cut off by another slap.

*Oko mi, ko ri bee = My husband, that's not the case.

I eventually look down at them and find streams of tears flowing down her face, and she is trying her best to hold them back while cradling her cheek.

“Are you trying to argue with me? You worthless woman! Get out of my sight before I… “He begins, and I cut him off.

“Before you what? Kill her? “I scream at him, and both of them dart their eyes at me like I've grown wings.

“Muyiwa, are you talking to me? “My father questions, and I raise a brow at him.

“What does it look like? “I reply rudely, and my mother's jaw drops.

“Muyiwa! “She scolds, and I ignore her.

“What? Why are you shouting at him? If you had raised him well, will he be so disrespectful? “My father screams at her, and I lose it.

“Will you just stop? If there's any bad parent in this room, it's you!

You're arrogant, wicked, shameless… Because of you, Ajinke doesn't want to see my face again… You're a disgusting man! “I scream at him as I rise to my feet, and he turns to my mother.

He gives her a heavy smack, and my heart pops as she falls to the ground

“Is this what you have been teaching our son!? “He screams at her, and she battles through tears to answer, but she fails due to pain.

“Do not raise your hand at my mother again! “I scream at my father, and he glares at me.

“Or else what? Are you stupid!?
*Njẹ o ti gbagbe pe o ba baba rẹ sọrọ? “He screams at me, and I roll my eyes.

*Njẹ o ti gbagbe pe o ba baba rẹ sọrọ!?= Have you forgotten that you're talking to your father?

“Father, only by title. “I reply, and I hear my mother's weak voice call out to me.

“Muyiwa… Please, stop…“
“Witch! *Se o le rii ohun ti o ti kọ ọmọ wa!? “He screams before sitting on her, and my heart falls into my stomach.

*Se o le rii ohun ti o ti kọ ọmọ wa!? =Can you see what you've taught our son!?

He begins to throw heavy punches at my mother, and Motilayo, who we had all forgotten about, begins to wail in fear.

“Daddy, please stop beating my mummy! “She screams, but my father ignores her as he keeps battering my mother, Who's too weak to fight back.

“Daddy, stop it! “I scream in panic, but he ignores me too.

“Daddy, stop! “I scream again, but my face goes numb when my mother spits out blood, and a tooth.

Motilayo runs out of the house in fear, and I rush over to my father and throw a heavy slap at the back of his bare neck.

He lets go of my mother in shock and turns to me in awe.

“You bastard, how dare you!? “He screams at me before pushing me away. I grunt as the back of my head makes harsh contact with the floor.

“*Iwo omo ale! “He yells before sharp pain shots through my stomach, and as my eyes begin to flutter shut, I realize that he stabbed me.

*Iwo omo ale! =You, bastard!

“Muyiwa! “My mother screams in horror before everything goes black.