CHAPTER 10

CHAPTER 10

ENTERING BELRAC, while waiting on the line to enter the gate of the town, Sollel, Hakken, and Cira found out from Len that identification was needed to enter the town. It was not a problem to Hakken and Cira, but to Sollel, it was a big dilemma. She had no identification to show; she was basically a suspicious individual.

Cira sat beside Sollel in the front of the wagon. Hakken walked beside it while holding the horse's rein, giving Cira an ample space to sit on. He whispered to Sollel's ear, "Your Highness, what are we going to do with your identification?"

"I have no idea," Sollel whispered back.

Cira thought of ideas, and after a minute or so, she suggested, "Let's bribe them, Your Highness! I have lots of money."

Hakken, who was listening without the two realizing, interjected. "That will make you look even more suspicious. How about you just leave it to me, my lady?"

Cira and Sollel glanced down at Hakken at the same time.

"What are you planning to do, hmm?" Cira looked at Hakken with doubt. "If you endanger her highness, I will shoot you with my bow and arrow. I have a perfect aim, just saying."

Hakken just smiled at Cira's seemingly harmless threat before looking up at Sollel, who was sitting on the wagon's front. "How's your acting skills, my lady?"

"Horrible," Sollel answered.

Hakken grinned. "Perfect."

Sollel didn't know what Hakken was planning until they arrived at the town's gate. And in front of the two guards, Hakken suddenly offered his hand at Sollel like a gentleman offering his hand at a ball. "My lady, please."

Sollel stilled for a split second before she remembered Hakken asking about her acting skills. Maybe this is it, Sollel assumed in her head. She was not sure what was happening and what was Hakken planning, but she accepted his hand anyway.

A hand of a warrior. It was Sollel's first impression of Hakken's hand. It had no callous, but it was hard, firm, and strong.

Sollel just played along with Hakken as he guided her to face the guards. She was silent, just watching and waiting how Hakken could help her pass.

"Identification?" one of the guards asked.

Sollel jumped a little when she felt Hakken's arm wrapping around her waist, his expression was somewhat in pain while facing the guards. "Gentlemen, this is my wife and beloved, El."

Good thing Sollel was wearing her hood and her face was hidden; if not, the guards would've seen how her eyes widened in shock at what she just heard.

Hakken continued his acting even though he felt Sollel stiffen. "We wanted nothing but to comply with the rules, but she didn't have her identification with her right now. After we eloped, we ran away and had to leave everything behind so we could be together." Hakken handed his identification pass and continued, "I can only show you mine. I'm so sorry. Please have mercy on my wife. We have been travelling to escape her parents. She is so terrified that she hasn't taken off her cloak and hood, and we don't know what we'll do if we can't enter Belrac to rest and stock up our supply before we start running again."

Sollel didn't know if it was because of Hakken's acting skills or the foolishness of the guards that they were let through. The guards patted Hakken's shoulder, saying, "You're very brave, young man. Treasure your wife."

Hakken nodded and smiled. "Of course. I fell in love with her at first sight after all."

The guards seemed pleased at Hakken's answer. Sollel, on the other hand, was starting to feel weird because Hakken's arm was still around her waist.