Shop

This is a totally random short oneshot that started writing ages ago when I got a random idea and only finished it off today, thought you guys might like it, it's just a little scene of Sophie working in the shop.

"So if you just shadow Sophie whilst she's working on the tills and I'm sure she'll answer any questions you have" Nick told the young lad, who nodded and shuffled over to me. Bless him. His name was Harry and he was doing work experience in the shop over the next week. He'd only been here a half a day and Matt and Ollie were already ripping into him because he seemed a little nervous. He probably hated it so far because of those two, the evil bastards, but me and Nick were trying our best to make him feel welcome. Nick had even had him a name tag made special.

"Have you ever worked on a till before?" I asked him, making conversation.

"No" he shook his head.

"Well, it's not hard to work really" I told him, "I mean, you probably won't even have to work on the till, but if you do, then you just have to click on the right sub menu, and then all the items are in alphabetical order" I showed him, pointing to the till screen. He just nodded and went along everything I said.

"So do you play anything then?" I asked, striking up a conversation. I figured he must be into music if he wanted to do work experience in a music shop.

"Yeah, guitar" he told me, "my dad plays so he bought me one when I was younger and taught me"

I smiled and nodded. It was nice to hear stories of how people become interested in music because everyone's is different.

"What about you?" He asked.

"Yeah, I play guitar" I replied, "and piano, and I sing... and write..."

"So not that interested in music then?" He smiled jokingly.

"Nah, not really" I grinned, causing him to chuckle softly.

I looked up at that moment and spotted Nathan walking towards the counter. He often visits me in the shop if he's not busy and he told me earlier that day that he might pop in so I told him to get me some guitar picks while he was here. I could see him holding a packet in his hands, which he placed down on the counter when he reached us. As Harry was next to me, I kind of had to be more professional than I usually I am if I serve Nathan (i.e. no flirting or kissing over the counter).

"Did you find everything you were looking for today?" I asked him politely. He looked slightly amused, having obviously seen Harry next to me, and stood there smirking to himself.

"Yes, thank you"

I nodded, picked up the guitar picks and turned to the till again, before speaking to Harry, "so guitar picks are under 'guitar' and then 'accessories'"

He nodded again, letting me know he'd acknowledged it.

"So, erm, they're quite good guitar picks" I said to Nathan. They were, but they weren't my favourites.

"Yeah" Nathan nodded, "they're for my girlfriend"

"Aw, that's very nice of you" I began, "but I don't think your girlfriend particularly likes this brand of guitar picks"

His expression of amusement started to border on annoyance.

"Well, what brand do you think my girlfriend would like?" He asked flatly.

"Erm, I think that she'd like the Dunlop ones more"

He blinked, "well, the Dunlop ones are more expensive"

"Yeah, by like, two quid, you cheap bastard" I muttered quietly.

"What?" He asked, raising his eyebrows. He'd clearly heard me.