Fade Into You

Song used in this chapter is Fade Into You from the tv show Nashville, video is on the side, I discovered it the other day and decided to use it in a oneshot, it's a great song and the lyrics are beautiful so have a listen

When I woke up that morning, it was still dark outside, the only source of light being the thin strip at the bottom of the door that told me the hall light was on. I shut my eyes and rolled over, stretching my arm out, expecting it to curl around Sophie's body, but instead fell onto empty bedsheets. My eyes flickered open again at the strange sensation and I frowned.

I blew out a sigh as I knew that I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep knowing Sophie was up and about somewhere. The clock read 2:13am. She couldn't have gone far.

I pushed myself up into a sitting position, rubbing the sleep from my eyes before I pushed myself out of the bed. I picked up a random t-shirt that had been thrown on my bedroom floor the day previous and pulled it on over my torso as I shuffled out of the door.

The sound of guitar strings being quietly plucked began to drift into into my ears as I moved further into the flat. I stopped when I reached the doorway of the kitchen.

Inside, Sophie was sat on the stool at the kitchen island with her guitar rested on her knees, her notebook in front of her on the counter as she scribbled something down in it. The lights were turned off in the kitchen, the only light coming from the hall behind me and one of those big Yankee Candles, which Sophie had lit and placed near her on the counter, it's sweet, orange-y scent drifting gently over to me.

I watched as she placed the pen down and turned her attention back to the guitar in her lap, quietly strumming some chords as she began singing some unfamiliar lyrics to herself.

"In your heart, in your head,
in your arms, in your bed
Under your skin,
Til there's no way to know where
you end
And where I begin"

She smiled to herself for a moment and pushed her glasses further up her nose, which was adorable, before she grabbed the pen again and wrote something else down in the notebook. She was obviously happy with that bit.

I took a step away from my spot in the doorway and into the kitchen, further towards Sophie until I was stood behind her. I wrapped my arms around her and kissed the top of her head, before I rested my chin on her shoulder.

"Mornin" I said in an amused tone, my voice a little croaky from having been asleep, "you writing?"

"No, I'm cooking a roast" she deadpanned

"Too tired for your sarcasm" I mumbled as my eyes scanned over the writing scribbled down on the notebook in front of us. At the top of the page were a few attempts at a title, which had all been crossed out bar one that read Fade Into You. Underneath that were lyrics and guitar chords penned in Sophie's loopy handwriting, some with lines through showing them as no longer wanted, others without.

"What's it about?" I asked.

"Just stuff" she shrugged.

"Just stuff" I teased, mimicking her northern accent.

"Piss. Off." She replied flatly, taking her guitar and poking the head of it sharply into my stomach.

"Ow!" I yelped, making it seem far more painful than it actually was, "I bet I'll bruise in the morning" I pouted as I rubbed my stomach.

"It is the morning" she shot back.

"I'm going to go sit over here" I told her, ignoring her comment as I picked up the spare stool and took it around to the opposite side of the kitchen island, sitting down on it to face her, "so you don't injure me again whilst you play me that song"