Surprise

I grabbed a spoon out of the drawer and trudged back into the living room with my bowl of strawberry ice cream, my bare feet pattering softly against the cold wooden floor. I slumped down on the comfy sofa and pulled the fluffy blanket over my aching body, setting down and pressing play on the DVD remote.

My flu had started out last night as cramps in my stomach and a minor throbbing in my head, which had only intensified when I woke up this morning after one shitty night's sleep. My throat was sore, making my voice hoarse and croaky, and my whole body was achy in such a way that I couldn't find a position in which I could get remotely comfy in.

I didn't even have Nathan to comfort me, which was possibly the worst part of it; he would have been a good distraction. However, he was currently in Germany. Him and the boys had been travelling across Europe for the past three weeks and weren't due back for at least another six days. It meant that all the things that should be brought to you when you are ill - tablets, soup, hot water bottles and such - well, I had to get them all myself and I couldn't get settled. I didn't even have anyone to cuddle with.

Sad times.

I watched the screen in interest, seeing Harry finally making his move on Ginny Weasley. About time. Only took him six bloody films yet they've been making eyes at each other since the first one. They were still cute though, I thought, as I shovelled the first spoonful of ice cream into my mouth. It tasted wonderful, and soothed my scratchy throat as I swallowed it. I was all set for another spoonful when a loud knock at the door stopped me. I groaned and dropped the spoon back into the bowl, pausing Harry and Ginny's kiss. I shoved the blanket off me and shuffled down the hall to the front door, scrunching my nose up as I realised how crappy I looked. I was wearing my bunny rabbit onesie - complete with ears and fluffy tail - my hair was a greasy, knotty mess of horrible-ness and my face was even paler than usual, with dry, cracked lips and dark circles under my puffy eyes, only slightly hidden by my thick-rimmed glasses.

I placed my hand over the handle and turned it, ready to politely dismiss whoever was at the door, presuming they hadn't already run away at the sight of me.

However, when I opened the door, no words left my mouth as my eyes took in the familiar dark mop of hair, that ridiculously cute nose, those dark lashes framing his sea-green eyes. A small smile pulled at his lips as he glanced over my form. I cringed, knowing exactly how grim I looked at that moment. He looked back up to my eyes.

"Surprise" he smiled, amusement clear in his voice.

"You're home early" I croaked quietly.

"I heard my girl was ill" he said, letting his bag fall off his shoulder as he stepped into the flat, and I took a step back, opening the door further for him. He discarded the bag on the floor in the hall before looking back at me, a small smirk sitting on his face, "I didn't realise the enormity of the situation though; I mean, things must be bad if you've got the bunny rabbit onesie on..."

I groaned and hid my face with palms of my hands, but Nathan just chuckled, moments before I felt his arms around me tightly, his cheek resting against my hair. He was so warm, heating up my cold body instantly, and he smelled so familiar, of shower gel and coffee and that natural Nathan smell. It was comforting, especially when I felt horrible and especially when I hadn't experienced it for a while. I hadn't realised how much I'd truly missed him; I never do until he comes back home and I'm in his arms and realise that I never want to leave them.

"You're gonna catch flu" I mumbled against his chest.

"Nah, I'll be fine"

I had no energy to argue so I just closed my eyes and nuzzled my face into him.