Nightmare (Nathan's POV)

This a really random little imagine-y drabble-y type thing, it's really short and really random and I just wrote it today, I'm gonna upload a really long oneshot tomorrow so look out for that too :)

My eyes flew open as a sharp blow to my back dragged me from my state of deep sleep. I thought maybe I was still dreaming so closed my eyes again and tried to drift off. Moments later, another blow. This one seemed to wake me up properly this time.

I pushed my body up onto my elbows and looked over to my left to see it was only Sophie next to me. Her body was squirming around restlessly, her legs flailing out and kicking my thigh this time
rather than my back. I grabbed her nearest leg quickly before she could kick me again and held it down against the mattress.

That's when I registered the small whimpers coming from her mouth, quiet incoherent mumbles from which I could only understand a few words.

"No... Scott... hurts... stop..."

I rolled myself fully into my side, propping my body up with my left elbow.

"Soph?" I said softly, trying to quietly rouse her from her nightmare, "Soph, wake up"

My hand left her leg and found her shoulder instead, shaking her gently in an attempt to wake her up.

"Soph?"

Her arm scrambled to push mine away and her leg, now free again, kicked mine. Even in her sleep, she was quite strong; not strong enough to actually push me away completely.but strong enough to leave bruises. She was sleeping so I wasn't going to hold her to it.

"Soph?" I repeated her name slightly louder this time, and shook her shoulder a little harder.

"Nath" she cried, "help..."

I watched as tears started to trickle down her face, descending in paths along her pale skin and soaking in the fabric of the pillow. The whimpers turned to quiet screams, pained and distressed, before fading out into weak, broken sobs that stuck in her throat and were heart-breaking to hear.

I lost count of how many times her name had left my lips before her eyes peeled open. Her legs stilled and her arms relaxed, but the tears kept coming, along with the cries from her mouth. Without even thinking about it, I slid my arms around her shaking body and pulled her against me. She buried her face into my neck, her fingers clinging tightly to my torso and digging into my flesh.

"It was just a nightmare" I said softly into her ear, stroking my hand gently over her hair, "it wasn't real"

"It was" her voice was merely a weak, croaky whisper as she spoke, cracked and wavering. I didn't know what else to say. She was right. I just held her instead.

"I'm sorry" she eventually whispered.

"Don't be silly" I whispered back.

And we lay like that, not another word being said, until she fell asleep again.

Thanks for reading :)