Chapter 9

Robert continued to look out the peephole of the door. The man was still there, waiting for Robert to leave so that he could make a move toward Ruth. Robert decided that he wasn't going to leave Ruth alone because he had a feeling that if he left, that guy would try to hurt Ruth in some way. Then, a thought entered Robert's head. "Ruth?" He asked. She looked at him and replied, "Yeah." "I forgot I left my phone in the car, here's what I'm going to do." She looked at him and listened to every word he said. "I'm going to go park my car; get my phone, come back here to your room, and then, I'm going to stay here with you for the night to make sure nothing happens to you." She looked away from him after hearing what he said and she thought, 'Why would he want to stay here, I can take care of myself. I mean, I brought my knives with me just in case I would need them. But he doesn't need to know that. If he wants to stay, I can't stop him from doing what he wants. Besides, I know he wouldn't try anything. Would he?' Robert watched as she turned away from him, and wondered, 'What in the world is she thinking about, I hope she knows that I wouldn't do anything to her. Although, I think she is a very beautiful girl, one of the most beautiful girls I've ever met from America.' Ruth turned back around to find Robert looking off to a corner of the room, deep in thought. She smiled to herself thinking about what could be running through his head. She decided to get his attention back and agree to his plan. "Robert?" He didn't hear her, he was stuck in his thoughts. She cleared her throat and said, "Ahem...Robert?" This time he heard her and he replied, "Yeah?" She continued by saying, "I agree that you should stay. If that guy is still out there, it is probably safer to have you here to protect me." As she said this, she turned around and started shaking because she was trying to hold back her laugh. Robert thought she was shaking because she was crying. He walked up behind her, put his arms around her, and smiled as he hugged her from behind. She immediately quit shaking when she felt Robert hug her. She had a feeling that she had never felt before. She felt him tighten his arms around her waist and she heard him whisper in her ear, "Ruth? I hope you know that you don't have to be scared of me or to be scared of anyone going to hurt you. I'll protect you for as long as I can." Ruth could hardly believe her ears. What was he saying?, why was he saying such things to her?, what did he mean by saying "he would protect her as long as he could?", and why did it sound like he didn't want anything to come between them? Robert let go of her and told her, "Okay, I'm going down stairs now; to park my car, grab my phone, and then I'll come right back up here. Okay?" Ruth nodded. He continued to speak, "Make sure that as soon as I'm out the door you lock this door and don't open it until I come back.  Okay?" She nodded again. Robert looked at her, smiled, and said, "Okay, let's do it." She replied, "Ok." They walked to the door; opened it, and as a part of Robert's plan they walked right outside the door. As Robert had walked out the door, he made eye contact with the guy that had followed them. Robert glared at the man for a few minutes until he felt Ruth pull on his hand. Robert turned around to face Ruth, who was standing in the doorway. They looked at each other and said, loud enough for the man to hear, "I'll be right back, 'Babe'." Robert had said, emphasizing the nickname 'Babe'. Ruth looked at him and said, "Okay, hurry back as fast as you can 'Darling'." Robert's plan had been to make it sound like they were Newly weds. So in order to make it sound true, Robert said that they should call each other by a certain couple name. Ruth didn't know why, out of tons of couple names, he had to pick the one name she hated out of them all. Robert didn't know why she had picked that lovey couple nickname to call him, but he went along with it. Robert replied in a very attractive and suggestive tone, "Oh, 'Babe' I'll be back in a hurry." Ruth had started to blush very hard after hearing him say that in such a voice. When Robert said it like that, the man quickly turned away, and started walking down the hall toward the elevators. Robert had planned on leaning in for a kiss but he had heard the man's footsteps going away, so he didn't. He looked over in the direction the man was walking in and he smiled. Ruth smiled too, knowing that the creepy man was gone. She looked at Robert who had a grin on his face, the size of a Cheshire cats'. He looked at Ruth and said, "Welp, guess our little act worked."  Ruth smiled and said, "Well, I guess you don't have to stay here after all." Robert quit smiling, looked her in the eyes, and said, "No, I'm staying just to make sure that guy doesn't come back." Ruth smiled back at him. He pushed Ruth back inside the room, then left himself to go park his car, and to grab his phone. In what seemed like two seconds, Ruth heard a knock on the door. She walked over, and asked who it was. Robert answered, and she could tell by his voice that it was him. She opened the door and let him in. After he walked in, he said, "I'll sleep on the floor." Ruth looked at him and said, "You will not. You can sleep on the couch, that way you'll be up off the ground. I don't want you to catch a cold from sleeping on the floor." Robert smiled at her response. She was kind, caring, smart, pretty, beautiful, and most of the things a man would look for in a wife. Robert layed down on the couch, texted his mom and said he would be staying in town for the night with a friend. She responded to him quickly and in her message she told him, "Okay, I'm glad you're alright, I was worried about you. I'm glad you're having fun with your friend in town. I'll see you bright and early in the morning. Ly!" He read it and responded with, "ILY2 Mom!" He was just about to watch a video on YouTube when Ruth walked out of the bathroom in her nightgown and she had her hair wrapped up in a towel. He looked at her as she took her hair down and started to brush it out. It was still damp from her shower but he thought that it added to her beauty. She looked in the vanity mirror that was opposite of Robert and She noticed him Staring at her as she brushed her hair. She smiled. She then got up; walked over to her bed, climbed under the covers, Shut out the bedside lamp, and said, "Goodnight Robert, thanks for showing me around the zoo today, and thanks for helping me with that creepy guy from earlier." Robert smiled to himself in the dimly lit room and he replied, "Your Welcome for all of it, and Night Ruth." They both smiled to themselves and drifted off into dreamland with dreams of each other that night.

*I'm so sorry that Chapter 9 was so short.  Chapter 10 is in progress.  I am very busy with my school work, so I haven't had much time to post or write.  I am working as hard as I can on my school work so that I have more time to work on the story but it isn't as easy as I thought.  I thank you all so much for reading!