Chapter 18

The next morning; Terri, Bindi, Chandler, and Grace had already woken up and went downstairs to get breakfast ready. Ruth had already woke up to start her morning and she was sitting in her room reading her Bible. Ruth decided she would go down and see if the family needed help getting breakfast ready. She closed her Bible, walked over to the full length mirror, and checked her outfit and her hair. She walked over to the door, opened the door, shut off the lights, and closed the bedroom door behind her. She walked down the hall, down the stairs, and into the kitchen. Terri, Bindi and Chandler looked at Ruth. They all had smiles on their faces and they said, "Good Morning" to Ruth. She smiled and said, "Good Morning" right back. She asked them if there was anything she could help with. They all said "No". Terri spoke up and said, "Ruth? If you could, would you go upstairs and make sure Robert is up?" Ruth smiled, nodded, and said, "Sure! I can definitely do that." Ruth walked back up the stairs, down the hallway towards Robert's room. She knocked a couple times but when there was no answer, she slowly opened the door. Robert was still asleep, laying there so still that he looked dead. She knew he wasn't dead though. She walked over to Robert's bedside, leaned over, and tapped him on the shoulder. When he didn't wake up, she decided to shake him awake. So she grabbed his shoulders and started to shake him awake. She shook him and shook him. When she couldn't get him to wake up, she sighed, and stared at him for a minute. She saw his mouth twitch upwards a little bit, and she knew he was faking. She knew what he was waiting for, and she wasn't going to give him the opportunity to tease her. She slowly walked over to his door, shut the door slowly, turned around, and walked back over to his bedside. Robert had cracked an eye open when Ruth had her back to him. He knew she was standing right over him by now. He felt weight on his bed and then he felt Ruth's warm breath close to his ear. She watched as he tensed up with her being so close to him. She whispered in his ear, "Robert, I know you're awake so quit pretending to still be asleep." His eyes shot wide open and he stared right at her smiling face. She started laughing, and stood up straight. She then proceeded to tell him that breakfast was almost ready. He smiled, got up, walked over to the door, opened the door, and said, "I'm gonna hold the door for ya, you can go ahead downstairs and I'm gonna change my clothes real quick." Ruth smiled and nodded. She walked out the door, down the hall toward the stairs, down the steps, and into the kitchen.  Robert was still kinda flustered about Ruth finding out he was trying to tease her. He changed his clothes, walked out his bedroom door, down the hall, down the stairs, and into the dining room. Everyone was waiting for him, he took his seat at the head of the table next to his mom (seating is the same as in chapter 13). During breakfast, they all talked about the events from the previous day and what they were planning to do after breakfast. Ruth said, "I think I'd like to tag along with you guys while you go to work at the zoo today." Terri, Bindi, Chandler, and Robert stared at her for a couple minutes. They couldn't believe that, even after everything she had been through the day before, she wanted to go out in the public again so soon. Terri spoke up and said, "I don't know if I would advise you to go out right after the events that took place yesterday. I would suggest that you stay here at the house and rest some more from yesterday's shenanigans. Bindi was planning to do some relaxing with Grace today here at the house while Chandler, Robert, and I go to work at the zoo. You, Bindi, and Grace could do some talking and relax here while we are working." Ruth looked at them all as they nodded their heads in agreement with what Terri said. They all smiled except, of course, Robert. Robert had been hoping she would go to work with him, Chandler, and his mom. He had planned to show her the rest of the zoo that day but when he realized his mom was right, he agreed that it would be safer for Ruth to stay away from people for a while. Ruth looked at him wondering what he was thinking. Robert looked back at her and said, "I agree it would be safer here than out in the zoo, where there are tons of people who could do something, and we don't want you to go through more than you already have yesterday." Ruth said, "Okay, I'll stay here with Bindi and Grace, if that will make you guys have more peace of mind on my safety." They all smiled their caring smiles and they finished up breakfast. Bindi and Ruth cleared the table and put the dishes in the sink, while Terri went upstairs to get her reading glasses, Chandler went out to feed the chickens, and Robert went upstairs to get on his uniform. Ruth ran upstairs after Robert, she decided to pull another prank on him since he tried to trick her before breakfast. She put her ear to Robert's door. She heard him rummaging in his dresser drawers looking for something. She took that opportunity to fling his door open and shout "Surprise". Robert shrieked a little bit from the scare Ruth gave him. She blushed when she noticed Robert was shirtless before her. Robert smiled widely at her blushing face and while walking toward her he said, "I guess your little jump scare prank backfired on ya', huh?" Ruth saw Robert walking toward her with a grin so wide that he could've been a Cheshire cat. Ruth kept backing up as he walked forward. She was so speechless, all she could do was nod her head. He was about to close her into a corner when she darted out the open bedroom door. Robert couldn't help but laugh a little. Not only did she give him more butterflies, but she also made his heart race faster than ever before. He knew he wouldn't be able to control his growing feelings for the shy, curious, smart, silly, danger prone, naive girl. He also knew she was gonna be a handful, but he could hardly wait to find out what else was in store for him next.

*Hey everyone, I know I haven't written another chapter for a long time, but after a long writer's block and tight schedule, I finally was able to get Chapter 18 done.  I am going to be working on Chapter 19 and hope to have it posted here soon.  I have been working since graduation and haven't had much time to write, plus I don't know how many chapters there are gonna be for this book yet.  I do hope to have a bit more time for writing and posting.  I have been very busy with work around my home, working on construction, and doing my daily life.  Thank you all for over 1,700 reads.  It means so much to me, just knowing people like reading my stories is a blessing to me.  Thanks for reading! - GodLover