Chapter 38

{Fifth Year of Marriage}

     Time sure seemed to fly, Ruth could hardly believe she was almost 23 and Robert almost 24, and that their son was 3 years old.  Grace and Steven played together all the time, Ruth and Bindi had grown very close over the years, she was also very close with Terri.  Terri loved to spoil Steven and Grace, she would buy them treats all the time and have them stay the night every weekend.  Robert and Ruth's relationship was a good one, they went out on dates when Terri had Steven on weekends, they prayed and studied the Bible together everyday.  They traveled a bit together with Bindi, Chandler, Grace, Terri, and Steven, when they weren't too busy taking care of work at the zoo.  Robert and Ruth's Fifth wedding anniversary was coming up, Ruth had wanted to travel back to Ohio and show Robert some of the places she grew up, since they hadn't traveled much when Ruth was pregnant with Steven or much right after he was born.  Ruth had asked Robert, but he had told her not to plan their trip over their anniversary, due to him having a croc show that day.  Ruth was a bit let down, but little did she know that Robert had already planned a surprise for their anniversary.

     One day, a week before their anniversary, they got into a big argument while Steven was staying at Terri's house, they said some things in anger, Ruth stormed out the door and ran off somewhere to think and pray.  Minutes turned into hours, Robert sat in the livingroom and began to really feel guilty about his actions.  He started to get worried about Ruth, when he heard the back door open and close.  He went to the hall by the back door, there stood Ruth.  He waited for her to speak, but instead of speaking she walked right past him and into their bedroom, shutting the door behind her directly in his face.  She sat on the bed, put in earphones, and blarred her music.  She had gone off earlier to pray and think, and she had every intention of apologizing to Robert, but when she saw him as she came in, she felt her anger rising again within her.

[Play this song after 'Far Longer Than Forever' is over']

She had locked the door so he couldn't get in, Robert was not happy that she was ignoring him now

She had locked the door so he couldn't get in, Robert was not happy that she was ignoring him now.  He began to think, 'how can I apologize to her?,' then he had an idea.  He grabbed his guitar, walked out on the porch nearest to their bedroom window and began to play a song that was one of Ruth's favorite songs called 'Ma Belle Evangeline'.  She had taken out her earphones to go out to apologize to Robert, but then she heard him outside playing his guitar.  She then unlocked their bedroom door, and walked out onto the porch to see Robert smiling while playing.  Ruth sat beside him and listened as he played, after he was done playing, they talked out their previous argument, apologized for the things they said to each other, then they prayed together before they went to bed.

     The day of their anniversary, Ruth was at home when she got a call from Bindi saying for her and Steven to rush to the zoo.  Ruth immediately thought the worst, but she and Steven headed to the zoo, and when they got there, they followed Bindi to the crocuseum.

[Play this song after the guitar stops playing.]

Ruth followed Bindi right out onto the green as Robert said, "Everyone, this is my wife, and today, I've been married to her for five years.  Hard to believe, right?"  Ruth was stunned, as she held Steven in her arms, Robert continued, "This is my 3 year old son, Steven Zachary Irwin, and he is gonna one day be here feeding crocs alongside his dad, right mate?"  He asked Steven as he took Steven in his arms, from Ruth who was now smiling.  Steven couldn't speak to good and he was shy, so he just nodded his little head at his dad's question.  Then Robert asked Steven, "Would ya like to meet your granddad from america?"  Again, Steven nodded his head, and Robert said, "Okay, let's get your granddad, grandmum, and aunts out here."  Ruth hugged Robert as she watched her mom, sisters, and dad walk out onto the green.  She hugged her sisters, mom, and looked at her dad.  She went to her dad, and hugged him, they were so happy they cried.  Robert took Steven over to his granddad, as they stood by Ruth's dad, Robert's mic picked up little Steven say, "Gumpa!"  Everyone 'awed' and they cheered as Steven reached out for his granddad, Ruth's dad took Steven and hugged him tightly.  Ruth walked back over to Robert, smiling, hugged him tightly, and said into his mic, "So this is why you told me not to plan a trip back to Ohio right away?"  Robert replied, "Yep, had to keep ya here since I had this planned for months now."  Ruth smiled, then said, "Well, since we're all here, this might be the best time to tell you all that, I'm pregnant again."  Robert who had been smiling and laughing while watching Steven with his grandpa, he didn't hardly register what Ruth said.  Everyone cheered, Robert turned his head and looked at her in surprise.  He then said, "You're joking? There is no way that you'd be-"  His words were cut short when Ruth pulled out a positive pregnancy test, and she presented it to him.  He was so shocked, he was speechless as Ruth giggled a bit.  He took some steps backward, then full force hugged her, almost knocking her over with the momentum he had.  Everyone was overjoyed to hear the news, after the fun of the day subsided, Robert, Ruth, and Steven went to their home with Ruth's family.  Ruth's mom, dad, and sisters stayed for about a week, then they returned to Ohio.  As the months began to stretch on, Robert and Ruth could hardly wait for their second baby to come, but they knew that God had some plans for their family, and whatever those plans included, they were going to trust Him.

*Hey everyone, I'm so happy with how this story has gone and I know I'm skipping a few years here and there, but the next chapter will be a little bit about life with their second baby.  Again, sorry if there's to many songs in these last few chapters, but I couldn't resist.  These songs give you a small glimpse of what types of music that I like to listen to.  Hope you guys have liked this story, and I can't wait to do other stories for you guys to read.  Thanks for reading! - GodLover