Chapter 37

{First year of marriage}

     It seemed like the days, weeks, and months passed quickly for Robert and Ruth.  It sure didn't seem like they had been married for a year, it seemed like only yesterday they met, got engaged, married, and then bought a house, but they had loved spending almost everyday together.  Robert really brought out Ruth's wild side since they got married, he helped her to overcome some of her fears, and she had helped him to be more committed to God.  She now loved feeding the crocs, helping Terri in the office sometimes, and just being apart at the zoo, and also spending time with Bindi and Grace when she wasn't at the zoo.  One day, Ruth had Bindi, Terri, and Grace to her and Robert's house, when all of a sudden she got very nauseous.  She ran to the bathroom, and Bindi held her hair while Ruth threw up, Terri got her something to help calm her stomach.   Grace gave Ruth a hug after she was done throwing up.  When Grace laid down for a nap, Terri and Bindi talked with Ruth about what she ate, how she felt, and they kinda had an idea of what was happening.  Bindi asked, "Ruth, have you thought that you might be pregnant?"  Ruth shook her head, then she listened as Terri said, "It might be a good idea to go see a doctor and see if you're pregnant."  Ruth agreed, and called the hospital to set up an appointment to find out.  The appointment was set for the day before her and Robert's first wedding anniversary.  Days before her appointment, she got even worse with throwing up.  Robert began to get a bit worried since he didn't know if it was a cold, or flu, or what.  He was there for her when he wasn't working, and when he wasn't there, Bindi and Terri took over helping Ruth.  The appointment day came fast, Ruth had Terri and Bindi go with her to the hospital, they waited after her checkup for what the doctor had to say.  The doctor came in and said, "Congratulations Mrs. Irwin, you're about 6 weeks pregnant."  Ruth's mouth about hit the floor, Bindi and Terri hugged since they were so excited.  They left the hospital and headed to drop Ruth off at home.  When they got there, Ruth sat down and asked, "How am I gonna tell Robert that we're gonna be parents?"  Bindi had an idea, so she said, "You guys' first wedding anniversary is tomorrow, right?"  Ruth nodded and Bindi continued, "Well, we're having a croc show tomorrow, and Robert is supposed to do it with Chandler.  What if we do up a little surprise video for him and have you walk out while we play the video for everyone to see?" Ruth smiled from ear to ear, and nodded her head in agreement with the plan.  They got to work on the video for him, and they had everything planned out.

    Robert kinda had plans to take the day off, to spend time with Ruth, he had their morning planned, but those plans got kicked when Chandler told him, "Robert, you're supposed to help me with the Croc show tomorrow."  Robert was a bit disappointed that he couldn't have the day off, he loved doing the shows, he loved Ruth more, but he agreed to be at the crocuseum right before the show started in the morning.  That night, Robert was very quiet during supper and Ruth was wondering what was wrong, but she stayed quiet.  They went to bed earlier than normal, and Robert had his heart set on getting up early to surprise Ruth for their first wedding anniversary.  The next morning, before sunrise, Robert went to the kitchen to make breakfast for Ruth, he also knew just how she liked her coffee, so he made her a cup.  He set the table on the porch, that faced the rising sun, of their home (when they bought the house, Ruth fell in love with the wrap around porch).

[Play this track, right after Michael Buble is done.]

Then he woke up Ruth, and took her to her breakfast surprise

Then he woke up Ruth, and took her to her breakfast surprise.  She sat down while Robert got out his guitar, she loved when he played for her, he played 'I See The Light'.  After breakfast was over, Robert was ready to walk out the door and he kissed Ruth 'goodbye'.  He went to the zoo and headed straight to the crocuseum to meet Chandler.  He and Chandler ran out into the middle green of the crocuseum, but before they started the show, Bindi ran out onto the green with them and said, "Good'day everyone.  Today we have a very special announcement before our show starts.  For those of you that don't know, Robert has been married for a whole year today.  Here's a picture of him and his wife, Ruth, for ya, don't they make a lovely couple?"  Robert was confused and starting to get suspicious of what was happening, but waited as Bindi continued, "You see for several weeks Ruth has been ill, we couldn't figure out what was wrong, so my mum and I took her to the hospital yesterday and we found out that what she has will go away.  Here's a video that we helped Ruth to make after her appointment yesterday."  Bindi directed everyone's attention to the screen, and the video was played.  There on the screen was Ruth sitting in her livingroom, she began to speak, "I can't believe it.  Y'all, I'm looking forward to what lies ahead for Robert and I.  I had no idea that something like this would happen."  As everyone watched the screen, Chandler let Ruth in through a gate behind Robert, and she stood behind him waiting for the video to end.  "Robert, I love you so much, Happy Anniversary!  I can't wait to have so many more years together with you, and I have a surprise for you."  Robert was watching and he put his hand over his mouth to keep from crying happy tears,as the video finished by Ruth saying, "You know how we talked about having kids, well, looks like it's gonna be sooner than we figured.  So Robert, do me a favor, turn around so I can tell you face to face that we're pregnant."  The video stopped, he turned around to see Ruth behind him, and he held her trembling hands in his as he looked into her eyes, and his mic picked up every word, "Are you serious?  You're pregnant?"  Ruth nodded, he hugged her and spun her around, with tears of joy in his eyes.  Ruth smiled and said, "The doctor told me yesterday that I'm six weeks pregnant."  Robert could hardly believe it, this was the greatest gift she could ever give him.  The crowd cheered for the happy couple.  After the show, when the zoo closed, they all went out to celebrate Robert and Ruth's anniversary and her pregnancy.

[play this track after you read, 'she was at home quieting the baby one night'.]

{ Thirty-four weeks or seven and a half months later}

     Ruth was in the hospital, on a breezy January night, in labor, giving birth to her and Robert's first baby.  After the delivery of their baby boy, Robert made sure Ruth was okay, then they named him Steven Zachary Irwin.  Robert was overjoyed to have a son, they were so very happy to have an addition to their little family, and Grace loved her new baby cousin.  After Ruth and Steven were released from the hospital, she was at home quieting the baby one night, and Robert heard her singing Steven to sleep.  Robert and Ruth had no idea what else God had in store for them over the next few days, weeks, months, and years, but they knew they were gonna trust him and see what life held for them.

  Robert and Ruth had no idea what else God had in store for them over the next few days, weeks, months, and years, but they knew they were gonna trust him and see what life held for them

*Hey everyone, I know I put a lot of videos and instructions in this chapter, but I couldn't resist.  I'm definitely trying to get this story done by Friday, February 23rd.  I have more time to write right now, since I found out the other day that my mom has a cold or something, and my dad is catching something too.  Please be praying for them and their sickness.  Anyway, Hope you're still enjoying the story, we'll be done with this book in three more chapters.  Thanks for over 6,300 reads!  I'm so grateful.  Thanks for Reading! - GodLover