Track 16 | 𝗔𝗽𝗼𝗰𝗮𝗹𝘆𝗽𝘀𝗲

"Ari..." I couldn't seem to find the right words to say. "I'm so... I'm so sorry..."

"Don't be," Ari said blankly, his face partially hidden by the wire fence and patterned shadow projected over his face through the gate by the street lights. I could only really see his eyes. They looked hopeless.

All I could do was stare at him with that same saddened expression. I don't think he could see my face in full as well. We were separated, both physically and figuratively.

I tried to muster up the courage to say something, but nothing came out. I could only softly shake my head, pitying the boy who stood across the fence from me.

"Go home, Harvey. We can talk about it another time."

"You're... You're really going... deaf?"

"What, don't believe me?" Ari said in a tone that I could not decipher. His blank expression made it hard to identify his mood.

"I... I, just... can't believe it. You have eight months left?"

"About. And then that's it. Hearing gone." Ari looked to the cold, cement floor. "Not that it hasn't been slowly leaving already. Every day, my hearing gets fuzzier and softer. Sometimes, it just cuts out completely for a few seconds, teasing me for what's about to come. It's leaving me and all I can do is watch."

"How did—How did this happen?"

"Excessive noise exposure," Ari said it in a way that felt mechanic, like he was referring to the tone of a doctor who had delivered the results to him. "Some head trauma, too."

"What... What does that mean?"

"Harvey, please, just go home—"

"I feel bad." I walked up to the fence and fit my fingers through the gaps between the wire, holding onto the steel. "I feel really, really bad."

"Yeah, can you imagine how I feel?" Ari was becoming passive-aggressive with me.

"Ari... Are you okay?"

"I'm not, but thanks for asking." Ari then stepped closer to the fence, his eyes growing in visibility under the orange glow of the lamps. "Look, Eden wanted me to join the band before I lost it. It was my last chance to really do this sort of thing. So, thanks for letting me be your drummer, for the time being, Harvey. I really appreciate the opportunity you've given me. I promise I won't let you down. With the time I have left."

"You make it sound like you're dying."

"It feels like I am." Ari's voice began to shake. I could only feel pain at this moment. For him. "Music is my life. It's really the only thing that makes me happy anymore. I can't stand silence. But, now, I have to face it for the rest of my life."

"Arizona, I'm so sorry."

"No. I'm sorry. I ruined the night."

"You didn't ruin anything."

"It's okay, you don't have to lie."

"There's no cure? There's no way to treat this, or—"

"If there was, do you think we'd be here, right now?"

"Ari, I'm sorry—"

"You've already said that several times now."

"I really am."

"I don't want to hear it." I went strictly quiet after that statement. "This is why I didn't want to tell anyone. Everyone would ask and share their condolences hoping it'll—in the slightest bit—help, but all it does is remind me. That it is coming. I just want to live these last few months normally. Like a normal teenager."