Track 45 | 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗙𝗲𝗮𝗿

➤ ➤ ➤

For the first time in—I think—forever, I found myself rising out of bed on a gloomy Monday morning in high spirits.

I can't think of the last time I was ever excited to go to school. I really can't think of the last time I was ever this excited to see someone so badly. And yet, here I was, Scotch-taping the infamous photo booth strip of Ari and me to the walls of my bedroom, giving it a home right next to the Polaroid of me and my father.

As I shoved my arms through the straps of my backpack, I took a step back and admired the brand-new addition to my wall, appreciating how well it fit in with the rest. Right before I left to go to school, I grabbed a Post-it note off my desk and stuck it over the fourth image, hiding it just in case Mom walked in while I was out.

In record time, I leaped down the stairs, snagged an apple from the kitchen for breakfast, hopped onto my bike, and sped off down the road, all in a matter of seconds. The bubbling excitement had me pedaling faster than usual. I was even whistling along to the tune of my music, loud and proud for the neighborhood to hear. I was all sunshine and rainbows today.

"Good God, Harv," Rian acknowledged my cheery appearance with pestering judgment as I rolled up on my bike, leaving a trail of glitter and sparkles in my tracks. "You're all sunshine and rainbows today."

"Thanks," I beamed, chaining my bike to the rack outside of the school.

"Wow, he's glowing," Levi whispered to Harley, who was just as amused and impressed by my jolly attitude. "He's finally embracing his homosexuality."

"Is... whatever this is..." Harley teased, drawing an invisible circle around my face with his finger, referring to my joyful spirit. "...Ari-related?"

"What else would it be?" Torrence scoffed. "And to think I used to believe it was Eden making you act up."

"We're making our relationship public today," I practically squealed, kicking my foot up cutely. Everyone either rolled their eyes or grunted out of disgust.

"Oh, Lord, you're too gay to function, now," Harley snorted, placing a sassy paw on his hip.

"That boy did a number on you." Rian smacked his paw down hard on my shoulder, almost leaving an imprint. My expression shifted from happy to discouraged. Was my obsession with this guy really changing my entire personality?

"Wait, I'm confused," Levi shook his head with uncertainty. "I thought you guys weren't in a relationship and were just 'trying things out'."

"Yeah," I nodded slowly, only to hesitate for a moment. "...But, whatever it is we have, we're—you know, we're—we're showing it off."

"Mhm, so basically you two are debuting your questionable, ambiguous situationship to the entire school which even you guys don't understand," Torrence assessed, bringing down my excitement even more.

I sucked on my teeth and whimpered quietly. "Well, when you put it like that—"

"The cavalry arrives!" Eden's voice announced like thunder from behind me, refueling my excitement.

I spun around like an owl turning its head and watched as Eden and Ari pulled up to the curb on their bikes, arriving majestically like angels being sent down on their flying horses from a shimmering break in the clouds. Ari parked his bike and looked up at me, that same glimmer of hope and excitement in his eyes; although, apart from me, he actually knew how to contain it.

"Alright, that's our cue," Harley called out to the rest of the group, slinking his arm over Levi and guiding everyone towards the front doors of the school. All except me and Ari, of course. "C'mon, guys, let's let these two plan out their romantic entrance."