Track 20 | 𝗜𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗔𝗲𝗿𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗮𝗻𝗲 𝗢𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗦𝗲𝗮

➤ ➤ ➤

April

The rubber outsoles of various sneakers squeaked repeatedly against the shiny maple gymnasium floor. Phys-Ed was usually a noisy class period, what would you expect when several students have the freedom to choose whatever sport they want to play?

I sat on the extended bleachers, surrounded by a scarce following of non-athletic students, spread out into different corners of the seats as a way to avoid verbal communication with each other. Some were glaring at their phones, some were doing their homework, and I even noticed one kid asleep on the benches.

Staring ahead, I watched the various able-bodied sportsmen of the high school play a vigorous game of basketball. I could see Rian and Harley in the midst of it, sweating profusely and dressed up in their loose gym attire (that they basically wore underneath their normal clothing all day just to strip down when Phys-Ed had come around), which was, essentially, just a tank top and shorts. The two were having a kick out of it, mockingly yelling at one another and juking each other out with sudden sideswipes and abrupt twists and turns. They seemed to really get along with the other athletes, as did I. Corey Baxter and Sean Lieth were there on the court as well.

Looking to my left, on the other side of the school gymnasium, I could see a small gathering of girls and boys playing a game of volleyball; Fiona, my gray wolf classmate from calculus, serving on one side of the net, Eden spiking on the other. 

Edie was dressed in these cute track shorts that showed off her legs and a simple black T-shirt (since, for some reason, girls couldn't wear tank tops as it was 'distracting' to the other male students [which is totally bullshit]). She was a little sweaty as well, but I knew well enough that Eden didn't give a single fuck about how messy she looked. The girl literally throws psychotic rampages on stage during performances. This was nothing. 

She combed her paw through her frizzy, wavy hair, pushing the strands back and adjusting it into a ponytail with little effort.

"Harvey caught lackin'!" I heard Rian yell unexpectedly from across the room. I instantly spun my head back over to what was in front of me, seeing all the boys in the basketball game cackling along with Harley and Rian. I snorted and flipped them the bird.

"Check yourself, dude, you're drooling a little!" Harley called out with a smirk on his face, dribbling the basketball skillfully in his hand as he paced backwards. I hid my face out of embarrassment, blushing only a little.

"Harv, you playin' with us today or what?" Another well-acquainted classmate of mine, by the name of Andrew, called out to me. I shook my head, shooing them away with my paw lazily, allowing them to get back to their game.

The seven of them, with a few disappointed grunts, resumed the repetitive process of skidding, dribbling, and hoop-shooting. They all chortled like hyenas and yelled out random things to each other that only they could understand.

At long last, it was the end of another week. 

And, as April had finally reared its allergy-inducing head, so did the warmer, rainy weather. Spring was always the exciting 'sneak peek' at Summer weather; a small teaser for what's coming to convince us that it's worth holding out for the rest of the school year. 

It's been about a week since the talent show audition, which went pretty well. Our performance was mostly successful and earned us a spot at the actual event, which was this Monday. We don't really care about winning or whatever. We just did it for Levi, whose birthday is in a few weeks or so.

Also, after the bathroom chat between the four of us that day, Rian had decided to stop pushing things aside and focus on prioritizing the band. It would be our main career after high school ended in three months, so it was about time we'd hammer down on our music and find a way to make a successful breakthrough debut.