Track 26 | 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗢𝗻𝗹𝘆 𝗘𝘅𝗰𝗲𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻

➤ ➤ ➤

We ended up getting second place.

Third place went to the football team—because, apparently, a prank requires more talent than actual talent—and first place went to mediocre opera girl. Not exactly my number one pick, but unfortunately, we weren't the ones to choose the winners. The "judges" were actually our teachers and staff members, but I still don't know how she won, though. Maybe the girl's parents bribed them or something to crown her first place, I have no idea. All I know is that this further proves that high school talent shows are stupid.

But, apart from that, the reception afterward was enough to make us feel like we won the whole competition. In the crowded lobby of the high school, we just stood there, in the claustrophobic mix of energetic teenagers and prideful parents, wearing our fake-silver-blue-ribbon medals, awkwardly accepting everyone's praise. We were constantly being bombarded by adults and other students expressing their admiration for our performance. We probably said 'thank you' over a hundred times for every new admirer. 

"So, Ari," I spoke up, standing behind him and nudging him in the back. "First performance as a part of the band. How'd it feel?"

"Yeah, congrats, man," Rian pounded his fist into Ari's shoulder as Torrence and Eden patted him on the back, mumbling the same celebratory support.

"Thanks, um," Ari chuckled, touched by our encouragement, "It felt a lot more... 'bigger' than I thought it would, I guess? Like, I didn't think we'd get this much attention. Feels like I'm actually a part of something that matters."

"Well, yeah, of course, it matters," Eden smiled, resting her paw on his shoulder comfortingly. 

"It's good to have you here, Ari," Torrence nodded. Ari respectively nodded back.

"ARIZONA FUCKING SUNDANCE." We heard Harley's voice rage loudly in the already noisy lobby as he, Levi, and Fiona suddenly entered the scene. The moment we laid eyes on them, Harley immediately swooped in and wrapped his arms around Ari, lifting him into the air and spinning him in circles. "YOU WERE SO FUCKING AMAZING!"

As Ari laughed, pestering Harley to put him down, Levi stared at the floor, discreetly shaking his head as Fiona reached for Torrence to hug him. "You guys were great," she expressed while squeezing her arms around the Shiba. We all noticed as his bright beige-colored cheeks had gone a little red from the hug.

"Thanks, Fi," Rian responded once the two had separated, approaching them and starting their own little mini-conversation.

Harley landed Ari back down onto his feet, continuing to flood the Australian Shephard with high praise. It was good to know that our past drummer successfully approved of the new one. Levi joined in, telling Ari how incredible his drumming was and how he wanted to be just like him.

I watched them all indulge in their own friendly chatter, noticing how the friend group was beginning to build with the newest additions of Ari and, now, Fiona, I guess. Realizing that someone was missing, though, I turned to see Eden, alone, staring blankly into the crowd of people around us. A little concerned, I came up to her and tapped her shoulder politely.

"Hey, you okay?" I quietly asked her, giving us a little privacy from the rest.

She turned her head and looked up at me, caught off guard. It took her a few seconds to get her thoughts together.

"...You wanna get out of here?" She impulsively suggested with a whisper. "Don't we have that date to get to?"

"Now?" I questioned, turning around and looking at the others, who seemed perfectly fine on their own. "Is there something wrong?"