22. I Knew You Were Trouble

I guess you didn't care
And I guess I liked that
And when I fell hard
You took a step back
Without me, without me, without me

And he's long gone
When he's next to me
And I realize the blame is on me

'Cause I knew you were trouble when you walked in
So shame on me now
Flew me to places I'd never been
So you put me down oh

I knew you were trouble when you walked in
So shame on me now
Flew me to places I'd never been
Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground

-

The week and a bit until Jennie got home for Christmas seemed to drag. It wasn't just the fact that they had to wait longer to see each other again, but the fact that every time they spoke on the phone, their conversation was stunted and uncomfortable. Yet, even still, the day that Jennie flew in, Rosie was waiting with a packed bag and nervous anticipation. She was excited, yet she couldn't deny that a part of her was worried. More worried than she cared to admit.

But there was the eventual sound of tyres on the gravel driveway, and Rosie was on her feet in a heartbeat. Smoothing the fine knit of her sweater, running her fingers through her hair and quickly turning the coffee pot on, before rushing through the house and opening the door a moment before Jennie knocked. Hand half-raised, she blinked in surprise at the sight of Rosie suddenly before her, and Rosie felt her worry dissipate at the smile that spread across Jennie's face. She wanted to throw herself at her, but as excited as she was, something held Rosie back.

Jennie was reserved too, hovering in the doorway with an apprehensive look on her face, a backpack slung over one shoulder and a bulky guitar case in hand. Her expression darkened for a moment as she brooded on the porch in the mild December weather, the wind snatching at stray strands of her brunette hair before her expression softened into a small smile.

"Can I come in?"

Rosie choked on a laugh, before she stepped aside and let Jennie in, watching as the brunette's face lit up as Hank came running down the hallway, tail wagging and tongue lolling as he sniffed Jennie's boots. She laughed quietly, bending down to pet the puppy while Rosie stood there watching her with a tender look in her eyes, cold air blowing in from outside as she held onto the door handle.

When she straightened up, Rosie blinked herself out of her stupor and shut the door, hand pressed against the wood as she made eye contact with Jennie. As if it were the most natural thing in the world, which it should've been, Jennie stepped forward and cupped Rosie's cheek with a cold hand and pressed her warm lips against hers. Rosie melted into her touch and felt the lingering worry fade as her body relaxed and she smiled into it.

"Hi," she whispered against Jennie's lips when they pulled back slightly.

Forehead resting against hers, Jennie let out a quiet laugh as she smiled, her nose gently bumping against Rosie's. "Hi."

"Coffee?"

Pulling back, Jennie let out a heavy sigh, running a hand through her limp hair and giving Rosie a tired smile. She had dark circles under her eyes and Rosie wasn't sure if that was due to the long flight, or the fact that she had been working too hard and sleeping too little. Without commenting on it, Rosie reached out and gently touched her arm, before walking down the hallway, whistling softly for Hank to follow after her.

In the kitchen, Rosie pulled two mugs out of the cupboard and poured coffee into them both, adding milk and sugar to them both, while Jennie set down her bag and the leather guitar case. Rosie glanced at it as she set the mugs down on the counter and folded her arms on top, raising one eyebrow in question.