52. Getaway Car

It was the great escape
The prison break
The light of freedom on my face
But you weren't thinkin'
And I was just drinkin'
While he was runnin' after us
I was screamin', "Go, go, go!"
But with three of us, honey, it's a sideshow
And a circus ain't a love story
And now we're both sorry
(We're both sorry)

X marks the spot
Where we fell apart
He poisoned the well
Every man for himself
I knew it from the first
Old Fashioned, we were cursed
It hit you like a shotgun shot to the heart

You were drivin'
The getaway car
We were flyin'
But we'd never get far
Don't pretend it's such a mystery
Think about the place where you first met me

We're ridin'
In a getaway car
There were sirens
In the beat of your heart
Should've known I'd be the first to leave
Think about the place where you first met me

In a getaway car, oh-oh
No, they never get far, oh-oh-ahh
No, nothing good starts
In a getaway car

-

"A dermatologist?" Nayeon snorted with laughter, her lips pressed into a flat line as she tried to hide a smile, "okay, well, that's ... a story."

With an air of nonchalance, her eyes sparkling with amusement as she lounged in her chair, Rosie's mouth twitched at the corners as she smoothed her fingers over the soft leather of the arm.

"Not really. I mean, not the actual decision. It was ... just an idle conversation while getting a skin treatment with Jeon Jungkook. Whenever we were together we'd go and get facials or manicures or massages. We'd catch up on everything since that last time we'd seen each other, and that particular time ... well, I had a lot to complain about I guess. Admittedly, it was more to do with my own unhappiness than Jaehyun. I almost thought we could continue to be friendly - albeit in a passing manner - but I guess ... he just didn't see it that way."

"I think that's safe to say."

Quietly chuckling, Rosie smiled slightly, a tense knot forming in her stomach, a flicker of dread spreading through her as she thought about everything that happened. It was almost a knee- jerk reaction that left her tense and prickling with unease.

"I didn't mean for what happened next to happen, and I guess people had good cause to think that I was a liar and a manipulating bitch. The media had been saying it for years. I played the victim in all of my relationships, I used men, whatever shit they could use to make me seem like a vapid little mean girl. Other celebrities had tried to start some low-balling drama, and I guess Jaehyun was just the cherry on top of a very long, anticipated wait to bring my life crashing down on me. I wish he hadn't taken it so personally; I never even thought he'd be hurt by it. Honestly. I mean ... we weren't actually dating."

-

Autumn quickly gave way to winter, the days of sitting on the roof with Jennie, drinking wine with her jacket around her shoulders as they watched the sunrise giving way to the last stretch of her tour ending in Asia, with the searing heat of their summer and the final show in Thailand, the day before her birthday. She played eighty-five shows in just over six months and there was a sense of relief at it being over, at a chance to rest.

First, she had to make it through the holidays. Her twenty-sixth birthday was uneventful, mostly spent flying back to Chicago, followed by a few days of lurking inside the carriage house on Cornelia Street, catching up on lost sleep and enjoying her own company as she floated in her pool, raided the liquor cabinet and made cocktails to sip out on the balcony, the first dusting of snow making her shiver beneath her layers. She saw Jennie a handful of times before she flew to Scotland for Christmas.