37. Out Of The Woods

Remember when you hit the brakes too soon? Twenty stitches in a hospital room
When you started crying, baby, I did too
But when the sun came up, I was looking at you

Remember when we couldn't take the heat?
I walked out and said, "I'm setting you free"
But the monsters turned out to be just trees When the sun came up, you were looking at me

You were looking at me, ooh

Are we out of the woods yet? Are we out of the woods yet?
Are we out of the woods yet? Are we out of the woods?
(I remember)
Are we in the clear yet? Are we in the clear yet?
Are we in the clear yet? Are we in the clear yet? (Oh, I remember)

-
"Well, now I know that whatever happened here didn't inspire Back To December. That was years before, right?" Nayeon said, her eyebrows raised expectantly.

Rosie waved a hand dismissively, "oh God, no. No, that song was about someone very dear to me who was going through a lot in their own relationship. And in no way connected to what happened three years later. Although, I did write a song about it, yes. Out Of The Woods."

"Ah. Right."

Rosie nodded thoughtfully as Nayeon ran through her memories, trying to dig up information on what lyrics she could cobble together from that song. She most likely had no recollection of it - Rosie had never known if she was being nice because it was her job not to piss off potential interviewees, or if she genuinely did like her music - but Rosie gave her a moment to try and piece it together anyway.

"Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but everyone thought that was about Kim Suho."

"Oh, of course they did!" Rosie laughed in surprise, a smile stretching across her face. "They thought songs that had been written, recorded, released as a single and had a music video before there were even whispers about us were about him. I didn't correct them. Obviously. But, I can assure you, very few songs on my albums have ever been about men. And certainly not in a romantic sense, regarding myself."

"So ... Jennie. Is this when it ended again?"

With a soft chuckle, Rosie smiled sadly, her brown eyes softening with a sorrowful, bittersweet look. "No, not then. I was just- have you ever loved someone so much that you've been scared that you're going to lose them, and it would literally kill you? Because that's how I felt about Jennie. As much as I tried to push it aside, I just- I had this feeling that she was going to leave me. And it wasn't anything to do with her, because she was wonderful and I'd feel so safe when I was with her. Everything was perfect, and we were so in love that it just frightened me even more. I wasn't sure I would survive her leaving me. Not again."

Trailing off into silence, Rosie drew her hands into her lap and fiddled with the rings on her right hand, a clouded expression on her face as a lump lodged itself in her throat. Her blonde hair concealed her face from the camera, although she could see the flicker of movement out of the corner of her eye, between the thin curtain of curls, and knew that the cameramen were adjusting their angle, trying to catch this moment of pensive quietness.

Forcing a wan smile onto her face, Rosie lifted her head, tossing her blonde hair back out of her face, and squared her shoulders as she gave Nayeon a level look, holding her curious stare. Softly clearing her throat, Rosie drew in a deep breath that filled her up and seemed to bolster her slightly. The muscles in her jaw twitched slightly - she could feel them jumping as she clenched her teeth through the smile - and she leant back in her seat, one arm slung over the back in a careless gesture.