twenty eight.

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT
plague

Warren

Warren had just gotten the call from Lucious about Jamal being in critical condition. Apparently, he got shot after they had departed ways last night, and Warren felt so damn bad. He should've made sure Jamal got home safely. Actually, he should've never told him to come to the club at all.

The Lyons were clueless right now, and they wanted answers. Warren was the only one who had those answers, so he was going to tell them everything he knew.

He walked into the hospital and the Lyons were sitting in the waiting area desolately. Warren didn't see Andre though. "Hey, Lyons."

Cookie was sad. "Hey, Warren."

"I'm sorry about Jamal. He didn't deserve this."

Cookie sniffled. "He really didn't. My baby never bothers anybody unless provoked. Now he's gone and!-"

Royalty interrupted her. "Mom, please stop saying that. He's not gone."

"You heard what the doctor said, Ro! He's going to die!"

For some reason, that made Warren's heart sink. Jamal was such a cool and talented ass guy. He couldn't die yet. He had so much more to experience in life, and he had so many more people to bless with his music. Including Warren. So he hoped Jamal hung in there.

He spoke again. "If he didn't bother anyone, who would want him dead?"

Hakeem quickly answered. "One of my fans. They've been targeting Jamal because he and I fought. They finally got him."

Lucious was puzzled. "What I don't understand is why that boy was out at 2 am."

"Because of me," Warren confessed.

"What?"

Warren frowned. "I guess I should explain what happened last night. I was at the club like always, and Jamal called me saying he was having a bad time and that he needed to vent. I invited him to the club, and he came and told me his sister in law just died. Jamal was devastated about it. He just wanted a fun night out," he finished.

"But where were his bodyguards?" Lucious demanded to know.

"He had no bodyguards. He snuck out."

Cookie was angry. "Snuck out? Now, why would that boy do that? He knew someone was after him!"

Royalty defended Jamal. "I don't blame Jamal. He wanted to live his life without having bodyguards breathing down his neck."

"And now he's dying because of it, Ro! Don't excuse his actions!"

Warren was filled with so much guilt right now. "This is all of my fault. I should've told him to stay home."

"It's not your fault. You didn't know someone was after him," Lucious told him

Hakeem agreed. "Yeah, it's Andre's fault."

"Hakeem-"

"It's Andre's fault!" Hakeem said firmly. "He killed Rhonda which made Jamal so sad, he decided to go clubbing!"

Wait, what? "Andre killed Rhonda?"

Cookie waved her hand dismissively. "Don't listen to a word that boy is saying, Warren. Andre is innocent."

"Well, can I see Jamal?" Warren asked.

"No point. He's not responsive."

"I'd still like to see him."

"Go ahead."

They told him what room Jamal was in, and he went there. Guilt immediately washed over him when he saw Jamal hooked up to all the machines. He really was fighting for his life.

Warren stood next to the bed. "Jamal?" No response. Warren grabbed his hand. "We're gonna find out who did this to you, Jamal. You're gonna get your justice."

He promised.

Andre

Andre left the hospital and came straight back to the mansion because Hakeem clearly didn't want to see his face. He was still angry that Hakeem had punched him in the face, but the longer he sat on the bed, the more he realized Hakeem's actions were justified.

Andre hated to admit it, but Hakeem was right. This was all of his fault. His baby brother was dying in a hospital bed because he had chosen power over his family. Even his wife was dead because of him.

Andre was starting to think he was bad luck. Death followed him everywhere. Innocent people died around him, when he should be the one dying, like Hakeem had said. He wasn't wanted anyway.

Why wouldn't God take him and do them all a favor? But he guessed even God didn't want him. That realization saddened Andre because he was a church boy. All he wanted to do was stay a good person so that he could make it into the gates of heaven. But he wasn't a good person anymore. He was a monster.

"You are a monster," he heard a familiar woman say from beside him. He followed the voice and saw his deceased wife standing there smirking.

He had to blink like crazy. Was he seeing this right? "R-Rhonda?"

"The one and only."

"B-But you're dead!"

"Yeah, because of you, Andre. You're a killer."

The guilt rushed at him. "I know I'm a killer. I know! I just want to fix this!"

Rhonda crossed her arms. "You can't fix this, Andre. You can't bring dead people back to life."

"You shouldn't be dead. And Jamal shouldn't be dying either!" Andre cried out.

Rhonda spoke harshly. "It's no one's fault but yours. You ruin everything you touch, Andre. You're a plague."

He was crying hard now. "I am a plague! That's why I should be dead right now, but God doesn't want me!"

"If God doesn't want you, you're truly doomed."

Andre rocked back and forth while sobbing. "I am! I'm doomed! I'm doomed!"

"What the hell is going on in here?!" he heard a man say.

Andre snapped his head onto the door and saw Lucious. Rhonda was gone now. Where did she go? "P-Pop?"

"I know you're not in here crying your eyes out."

"I am because I'm a plague. Death follows me everywhere!" he cried.

"Andre-"

He was so hysterical. "Jamal's dying because of me! I even killed Rhonda!"

"Andre!" Lucious shouted at the top of his lungs, making Andre shut up. "Don't ever say those words out loud again unless you want to end up in jail!"

"I should go to jail, Pop! That way, I won't hurt anyone else!"

"You're not going to jail. I'm not letting that happen."

"Why not?! Why aren't you mad at me?!"

"Oh, I am mad at you. The only reason I haven't disowned you is because we're covering up a crime," he said. "Plus, Jamal's still fighting for his life. But if he gives up, I will never forgive you, Andre. So you better ask God to."

But God never would.