Chapter 26 -

"You didn't really think you could just leave without saying goodbye, did you?" Kent asked, smiling down at me. 

He was wearing black slacks, a crisp white button up shirt and a red tie that matched my dress perfectly. In his hand he was holding a beautiful corsage with three red roses and little crystals woven through. He actually took my breath away, he was so handsome. 

"I didn't think. . ." I wasn't sure what I was even going to say as I stared up at Kent, still shocked he had made it to me before I had to leave. 

"Jackie told me what happened," Kent explained, letting go of one of my hands to wipe a tear from my cheek. He took a step away from me to admire my dress and let out a low whistle, "I'm glad you didn't make it to the dance, all of the girls would've been jealous and I would've had to fight off all the guys for sure,"

I could feel a blush creeping up my cheeks but the situation we were in kept me from enjoying his admiration.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered, trying to look away from Kent but he grabbed my cheek and made me keep eye contact. 

"This isn't your fault, okay?" He looked hopeful and I couldn't tell if his attitude was more for my benefit or his right now, "We can make this work,"

Without a single pause Kent leaned down and pressed his lips gently against mine. For a few moments I couldn't even close my eyes, the shock from Kent kissing me, finally, had my momentarily paralyzed. Kent inched away from me, just barely so that our lips were still barely against each other. 

"It's even better if you kiss me back, I promise," 

My cheeks burned with embarrassment while Kent chuckled and pressed his lips against mine again, this time not as gentle. He tasted like chocolate actually and his arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me in closer. 

For that moment and that moment only, I couldn't remember why I was upset. 

I couldn't remember why I was crying and I couldn't feel the crisp air surrounding us. 

All I could feel, at this moment, was Kent against me. His lips moving gently while his arms wrapped around me even tighter, almost like he was afraid I'd disappear at any moment. I never wanted this moment to end. I was finally kissing Kent, he was kissing me! My heart was pounding in my chest and in my ears and the butterflies in my stomach were having the time of their life. 

All too soon Kent pulled away from our kiss, both of us out of breath and the cold air allowing the clouds to mingle between us. Again Kent wiped a tear away from my eye.

"I've wanted to do that for a while," He whispered, pecking my lips again quickly. I never wanted to stop kissing him. 

"I've wanted you to do that for a while," I admitted, not able to hide my smile. 

"You know you could've kissed me anytime, I wouldn't have complained," Kent smirked down at me but before we could kiss again Berny cleared his throat loudly. 

I had completely forgotten about our school's security guard who had witnessed the whole thing. 

"This is awkward now, I assume Mr. Perfect can help you carry your bags," Berny dropped my duffel bags and began walking away before either one of us answered. It was for the best. 

"Is this really happening?" Kent wrapped his arms around my neck now and pulled me into another warm hug, resting his chin on the top of my head. 

"I wish it wasn't," I almost didn't hear my own voice, it was so quite now. The sound of music was barely audible from the gym now.