Chapter 13-

Sadie's POV

I knew being alone wouldn't be the best idea so instead I made my way back to the library where over half the guys were still gaming out. 

 "And the party is back," Charlie called out, tossing me a bottle of beer as soon as I walked through the door. 

 "Ah, no thanks," I handed the beer back to him and took the seat Kent had previously been occupying. 

 "You and me are up next, alright?" Charlie asked, reaching over and squeezing my knee. I just nodded and continued to watch the remainder of the match between Chunk and Jace. Charlie kicked my butt within the first two minutes of the round and before I knew it it was 9 o'clock at night and most of the guys were heading back to the dorm. Curfew was 9:30 and if someone who plays a sport gets caught after curfew you have to sit on the bench for the next game.

 "I'll walk back with you," Charlie opened the door for me and followed me out, down the spiral stairs and outside. "Are you coming to the first football game on Friday?" 

 "I was planning on it," I muttered, shoving my hands in my pockets and trying to tuck my chin under my jacket, it was getting way too cold at night. 

 "Good, I'm sure a lot of the guys will appreciate your support," I only nodded and we continued walking to the dorm together. All I could do was pray Kent was not in our dorm room. 

 "Hey Sadie," Charlie mumbled, fishing his key out of his pocket in front of me while I searched for mine. "if you ever need a place to crash, my roommate dropped two days ago. Just letting you know," 

 "Thanks Charlie, I appreciate it," We said goodnight and went our own way. Thankfully Kent wasn't here, but he had left the window open so our room was basically a huge freezer. I closed it and slumped over to my dresser. Maybe I could take Charlie up on the offer or maybe if I was lucky there could be an open room in one of the girls dorms. To actually live and mingle with people the same sex as me would be heaven. I had no one to talk to about this, other than maybe Jackie who was probably working on some science experiment, Charlie just couldn't cut it right now. I needed girl time. 

Changing quickly and jumping into bed I let happier thoughts invade my mind, Kent was there still though. I was overreacting...Kent and I weren't together, he hadn't confessed any feelings for me so why was I so upset over this? Maybe him and Missy made each other happy and it wasn't my place to get in the middle of it. 

In the morning I was slightly surprised that Kent hadn't come back, at the same time I wasn't surprised at all. It was nice to be able to get dressed without covering myself or worrying that Kent was watching when he'd tell me he wasn't. A sudden pain bubbled through my chest and I couldn't help but miss the asshole. Even just a little bit. 

"I love your outfit," Jackie greeted me as I walked into English. 

"Thanks Jacks," I had taken extra care in getting ready this morning. I actually put on makeup, even if it was just mascara and eyeliner, my hair was hanging naturally wavy down my back and I was wearing my favorite pair of jeans that showed off what little curves I had. For the first time since I started at this school I felt like a girl. 

I didn't pay any attention during class, all I could think about what trying to run into Missy today. I had decided to steer clear of Missy in every way I could, she was a walking drama disaster. 

"A couple of us girls are getting together after classes to make some signs for the football team if you want to come," Jackie mentioned as she hurried to keep up with me walking out of class. 

"That sounds like fun," Actually, it sounded like a great idea. I would have the chance to meet some other girls as well and maybe make a few signs to cheer on some of the guys.

"Great, it's in my building. I can meet you at your dorm after classes?" Jackie was already trying to walk the other way, to her other class before the bell rang. She stressed out way too much if she was late. 

"I'll see you there," I called after her and she disappeared in the sea of students bustling about. I pulled on my jacket before leaving the building and dying from the cold air. Where had fall gone? I feel like winter just took over. 

"Aren't you looking cute today," Charlie rushed up beside me and nudged me playfully. 

"Oh, thanks Charlie," I giggled and noticed Charlie's smile grow.

"Special occasion or are you just trying to impress me more?" Now he winked down at me and my cheeks began to burn. Was Charlie really flirting with me? Aren't he and Kent like best friends though? Maybe Kent really didn't have any feelings for me, if he did you would think he'd mention it to Charlie. 

I laughed nervously this time. "No special occasion," I whispered. What else do I say to that?

"Everything okay?" Charlie looked at me with a concerned look and when I showed confusion he quickly continued "I, uh, saw Kent earlier and he looked pretty hammered. Figured maybe you had locked him out of the room again," 

Even though Charlie was trying to joke around I could tell that he was genuinely concerned. He was a good friend to Kent and I doubt Kent even realized it. 

"Everything's great actually," I lied through my teeth and Charlie believed it. "He was probably up too late studying or something," 

Charlie stopped walking for a second and made eye contact with me before bursting into laughter. 

"We both know Kent doesn't stay up late to study," I laughed too, if anything Kent paid someone else to stay up late and do his homework. "I've gotta go to class, but I'll catch up with you later cutie," 

I waved bye to Charlie and kept walking. My heart hurt a little more than before. I guess I had been hoping so much that Kent had a crush on me, like I had a crush on him, but if he hadn't even mentioned anything to Charlie, his best friend, then he probably never had any feelings for me to begin with. And if he did, he definitely didn't after I accused him of basically being a fat ass. 

"Try hard," Missy was suddenly hissing from in front of me. She wasn't accompanied by Kent thankfully. 

"Jealous much," I retorted and she simply rolled her eyes. Missy took two steps closer to me so our noses were nearly touching, I wasn't about to back down. I'd get kicked out of sports for the year for fighting Missy.

"Me? I'm sorry, what exactly do I have to be jealous of? Some delusional, hick town girl thinking she had a chance to steal my man? As if," Missy squinted her eyes to glare at me even more. "Just because you sleep in the same room with him doesn't mean you've marked your territory, bitch," 

Before I could think of a comeback to throw in her face she was sauntering away, heels clicking with each exaggerated step she took.