Chapter 19-

Sadie's POV

Josie slammed her textbook down on the oak table that Jackie, Kent, Charlie and I were sitting at. The loud noise earned a 'shh' from the extremely grumpy librarian. 

 "What's with the drama?" Ryan asked, walking up to the table once hearing the noise. No doubt he couldn't wait to hear the latest gossip Josie was about to spill.

 "Have any of you seen Holly around today?" Josie eyed each and every one of us but we all gave her the same answer; no. She let out a defeated sigh and sank into one of the empty seats between myself and Charlie. 

 "Is she in danger or something?" Charlie teased but Josie didn't crack even the slightest hint of a smile. 

 "She was expecting Dyllan to ask her to homecoming, someone told her he was going to anyway. When he didn't she basically freaked and now won't stop hiding in our room," Josie rolled her eyes at her best friends behavior. With the dance only four days away I couldn't blame Holly for feeling anxious about not having a date. Although Kent had shown multiple signs of possibly wanting to take me to the dance, he had yet to ask me. 

 "We need to talk some sense into that idiot then," Kent nudged Charlie and they both agreed. 

 "I don't have a date either, in case anyone was wondering," Ryan blurted out, leaning onto the table with his elbows, eyeing Charlie while doing so. "I especially wouldn't mind going with a very attractive football player," 

 Charlie suddenly snapped his notebook shut and stood up. "I'm going to go tell Dyllan to ask Holly to the dance, uh, see you guys around," Charlie hurried off, stuffing his books into his backpack while speed walking away. 

 "Was I too direct?" Ryan asked honestly, looking to the rest of us for opinions. 

 "Maybe jus t a tad," Jackie quietly responded, the rest of us agreeing cautiously. Ryan rolled his eyes and slumped down in one of the chairs. 

 "Straight boys are so annoying," 

 "I've gotta get this banner thing figured out for our next game, I'll catch up with you guys at dinner," Josie hurried off in the opposite direction that Charlie did, leaving Jackie, Kent, Ryan and I at the table. 

 Kent slid his notebook over to the empty spot next to me and quickly took the chair next to me. 

"What are you working on over here, cutie?" Kent leaned over, closer than necessary, to examine my notes laid out in front of me. 

 "English paper, having to write about our inspirations," I explained, my heart rate spiking and I suddenly was trying not to hold my breath. Kent's shoulder brushed against mine before he pulled back and flipped open his own notebook. I tried my best to focus on the paper I was trying to write but with Kent sitting so close to me, I was having difficulties. Jackie had been sucked back into her textbooks and notes, studying for the next exam even though we had a whole week still. Ryan was glued to his phone, as usual, probably scrolling through some sort of social media app. As I was observing what the other two were doing Kent gently pushed his thigh up against mine under the table. My heart skipped and began beating faster. I felt heat make it's way from my chest up to my cheeks. 

 "I think you look really good in red," Kent whispered, again leaning closer to me, this time he crossed his arms on top of the table and his fingers brushed against my elbow. I was wearing a red sweatshirt my mom had bought me my freshmen year, I remember I just had to have it because it was so soft, light weight and it had inside hidden pockets, which is always cool. 

"Thank you, my mom bought it for me," I fingered the collar of the sweatshirt nervously and smiled over at Kent, who was staring at me with bright eyes and an amused look. 

"I definitely wasn't talking about the sweatshirt, but that's nice too," Kent winked at me and raised his eyebrows curiously when my face became even darker. 

 "I think you would look stunning in a dress this color," As Kent changed the subject, my breath caught in my throat. Was he saying what I think he was trying to say? 

 "Do you mean. . . " Before Kent was able to properly ask me to the homecoming dance a loud alarm suddenly began blaring throughout the library, forcing all of us to cover our ears. The librarian stood and began barking at all of us students to vacate the building, this was just a drill. I always hate when the teachers don't warn us about a fire drill. Kent reached over and grabbed my hand, we left our things around the table and headed towards the doors with all the other students. 

 "Sadie! Wait up!" Jackie grabbed my other hand, with Ryan trailing close behind her and the four of us made it out of the loud building. It was a gloomy fall day outside and chilly with the wind blowing harshly. Whenever there was a fire drill we had to go outside and walk down to the football field where we'd take roll call and wait to be told it's safe to go back inside. It was the most annoying thing ever. Everyone knows in an emergency it's everyone for themselves. Now I was regretting only running out of the dorm with this lightweight red sweatshirt. 

 In the middle of all the commotion I lost track of Jackie and Kent, Ryan was the only one standing by my side when we got to the field. 

 "There you are," Kent appeared behind me, blocking the wind from blowing against me and making me even colder. "Here, just a sec," 

Kent swung off his backpack that he grabbed, even though we're supposed to leave our stuff inside, and quickly tore off his sweatshirt. 

 "This will keep you warm," He handed over the large football sweatshirt with his last name, Agather, printed on the back and the number 24. 

 "Aren't you going to be cold?" Kent was only wearing a grey T-shirt underneath and I could see goosebumps on his arms already. I didn't mind the view though, the shirt fit him just right. 

 "No I'm fine, trust me. We have to practice in this crap so I'm kind of used to it," Kent said, clapping his hands together and rubbing them, all while having a smile on his face. I couldn't help but smile up at him and lean into his side. When his arm draped around my shoulder I immediately felt warmer, so warm I doubt I'd even need a sweater. 

"Thanks again," I said while our teacher tried to settle all of the students down and take roll call. Kent squeezed me closer to him and smiled, not looking down at me. 

"You can't steal that one though, I have plenty more you can steal if you're ever cold," Kent was quiet for a moment before adding.

"I'm sure you won't have a problem finding your sweatshirt," I teased, hinting at the odd fact that we actually lived together. 

Kent turned so we were facing each other and wrapped his other arm around me, pulling me into his chest and resting his chin on the top of my head. It felt like summer between us. 

"Just don't go wearing it Saturday night, ok?" He whispered and I quickly pulled back to look up at him, a small smile was beginning to form on his lips. 

"Why would I still be wearing this by-"

"Sadie, go to the dance with me. Please?" Kent cut me off when he realized I had not picked up on his hinting. Had he really asked me? Was I dreaming? 

"Of course I will," I reached my arms around his waist and hugged him back tighter than before, causing Kent to laugh some more. 

"Finally, you have no idea how long I've been trying to ask you," 

"You have no idea how long I've been waiting for you to ask me," Kent looked down at me with his eyebrows raised and I smiled up at him. 

"I'm the luckiest guy in the world," He muttered, almost to himself, before resting his chin back on my head. My heart was beating fast, but in a good way, and my stomach was full of dancing butterflies. The easy part was out of the way though. 

Now for the hard part- finding a dress.