Chapter 30- OLD

I couldn't see straight. 

Charlie and Kent were a dark blur, rolling around in front of me, fists flinging and legs kicking everywhere. I had yelled so much, there was no use. 

 "What's going on?" I heard Rebecca call from up above on the deck. She leaned over the railing to watch as Kent and Charlie continued wrestling and cursing at each other. 

 "Go get the guys, they won't stop!" I called up to her but she glanced back at the boys with a worried look before making eye contact with me again. 

"There's something wrong with the power in the cabin, they're in the basement trying to figure it out! I'll be right back!" Rebecca hurried off and for a second I considered the idea that Charlie had purposefully done something to the power to distract the boys.  

 "I can't believe you!" I heard Charlie yell before kicking Kent back and away from him. The two stumbled to their feet, wiping blood from their mouths and I took this opportunity to jump in between them. It was a classic movie scene, my arms were held out straight to keep the two as far away from each other as possible. 

 "Why are you doing this Charlie?" Kent yelled back and Charlie stepped forward, pressing against my hand. Kent did the same. 

 "You couldn't even let me have Sadie, you have everything else I've ever wanted and you had to take Sadie away from me too! I'm tired of constantly living in your damn shadow!" Charlie yelled, his fists shaking with anger. Kent glared at his best friend of so many years, confused and hurt.

 "You knew how I felt about Sadie from the very beginning Charlie! You never once told me you had this strong of feelings for her, I'm not stabbing you in the back. You're my best friend, Charlie," The hurt and confusion was plain on Kent's face, not from being punched either. 

 "What does it mean then Kent? Because as far as I can tell you get everything and I get left in the dust. Always!" Before Kent could respond or I could stop him Charlie leaped forward and tackled Kent around the waist again, sending both of them backwards into the bushes and rolling down the steep and snowy hill. 

 "Kent! Charlie!" I called after them right as Rebecca slid up to my side. 

"Did they just fall down the hill?" She asked, grabbing my shoulders. I was shaking, but not from being cold. 

"Yes, Charlie just tackled Kent and they're down there," I pointed to the broken bushes in front of us, "Where are the guys? They need to stop them," 

"They're trying to find flashlights, it's pitch black out here Sades," Rebecca explained and I started shaking my head.

"Sadie, listen to me, listen!" Rebecca grabbed my shoulders and made me look at her finally, "The Ambien bottle is spilled all over the bathroom, it looks like quite a few pills are missing but I didn't stop to count," 

Rebecca's comment from earlier, the one about her dad's ex-girlfriend going crazy when on Ambien, flashed through my head. I thought Ambien made people lethargic, although I'm not sure what it would do when mixed with that other pill or alcohol. Was Charlie even taking those other pills?

 "I've gotta stop them," I jumped away from the Rebecca and slid down the hill towards Kent and Charlie, not caring about the snow going up my pant legs or the fact that my pants were now completely soaked and ignoring Rebecca's pleas to stop.

 "You bastard!" I could hear Charlie yelling and Kent grunting as I quickly approached the two, still rolling around in the snow and trying to punch each other. 

 "Will you two stop it already!" I screamed, grabbing the back of Charlie's shirt and tugging as hard as I could. In less than two seconds Charlie had turned and shoved his elbow so hard into my nose, I felt it crack. I fell to the ground and clutched my throbbing nose. I could already feel the warm liquid running down my chin.