Chapter 27 -

It had been three weeks. 

Three weeks since I had left school. 

Three weeks since I had started school back in my hometown at my old high school. 

Three weeks since I had heard from my friends and three weeks since I had heard a word from Kent. 

"I can't wait for summer, this cold weather is not the move," One of my only friends, Rebecca, complained while we walked home from school. Since we lived next door to each other and Rebecca's car was in the shop, walking home from school had become a regular thing this week. 

"We are going to party so much this summer!" Rebecca pulled out her signature, shiny bedazzled pink flask that was usually full of raspberry vodka. 

"Want a sip?" She held out her flask and I kindly rejected. Although I loved Rebecca, her drinking had gotten worse since I had just four months ago. It didn't help that her parents basically enabled her, but we always had booze when we needed it. 

"I decided to take some tequila this morning instead of the regular," All the more reason to say no. As soon as Rebecca took a big swig I could smell the burning alcohol before she let out a hiss followed by a battle cry to fight off the bite. 

"I think I need to get a job," I mentioned, trying not to focus on the thoughts running through my head about Kent and Jackie and Squid and Chunk. 

"Oh please, you have the rest of your life to work to death, "Rebecca shoved the flask into my hand and winked, "Live while you're young, baby," 

Rebecca skipped off in front of me and twirled around, small clouds coming from her mouth in the cold air. 

Rebecca was a wild child, always has been and probably always will be too. That's why I loved her, she encouraged me to come out of my shell more even when I really didn't want to. I took a tiny sip of the tequila and nearly gagged. 

"Such a baby," Rebecca tisked and snatched her flask, taking another hefty swig herself and laughing. Idk how her small stature handled it. 

"Hi girls!" My mom called to us from my front porch where she had just come into view. She was sweeping the fresh powder of snow off of our porch and it looked like she was in a good mood. 

"Hi, Mrs. Michaels," Rebecca slid his flask into her backpacks side pocket and waved enthusiastically towards my mom, "I'll catch ya later, Sadie," 

I waved goodbye to Rebecca as she ran into her own house and started up the stairs to my own. 

"You got a letter in the mail today," My mom announced, keeping her eyes on the beautiful flowers she had worked so hard to maintain this summer, now crisp and brown. 

My heart skipped unexpectedly and I dropped my bag on the floor as soon as I walked through the door, sprinting into the kitchen where my mom always left the mail in a pile on the counter. 

The address was from the school! It had to be from Kent!

I ripped open the envelope and hurried to unfold the letter so that I could read all about what I had missed these past three weeks. 

My heart immediately sank deep down into my stomach when I realized the letter was in fact not from Kent, but from Charlie?

I slowly read the unexpected letter. Why had Charlie been the only one to write to me?

Dear Sadie,

       It honestly has not been the same here since you left. Things just aren't as fun or lively anymore. I have to say not seeing your face every day definitely dampens my mood and many others. I hope you're doing well and adjusting to your old/new school. Truly this place is not the same.