Reflected II

Chapter 2: Lost Without You

Hero

Once the meeting is over, I walk out of the building and stand out front, not looking around. I grab my phone and open it, going to Jo's contact that is still in my phone as 'My love'. I'm about to click the call button but a voice stops me.

"Don't bother, I thought I'd just meet you here." Her voice says, making me look up from my phone. A smile makes it's way onto my face and she pushes herself off of the wall and walks up to me. She looks down at my phone and I can see her heart break even more than it already is.

"You never changed the name." She says softly, more to herself than me. I look down at it and turn off my phone.

"Yeah, I just... never brought myself to do it." I say, looking down at my feet. We stand, thick tension surrounding us so I clear my throat, looking back up at her.

"So... lunch?" I ask her and she nods quickly. We turn and walk the same way I came earlier. She walks a few steps ahead of me, leading the way to the cafe since I have no idea where anything in this city is. Soon, she decides to break the silence.

"Is this your first day here?" She asks, looking back at me for a second.

"Yes, I got here early this morning so that I could be here in time for my meeting." I say, and she nods.

"Is it what you expected it to be?" She asks and I nod.

"Yeah, it's loud and filled with people. A lot sunnier than what I like but it's okay I guess. It has nothing on Seattle though." I say and she nods.

"Why come to New York? I know you like places that remind you of London." She asks and I tense up. I didn't want her to know the real reason why I decided to come to New York but I can't lie to her.

"In all truths... I came here because I knew that... I-I knew you were here." I say and I can see a hint of a smile on her face.

"So you came here for me?" She asks while looking over at me.

"I wanted to see you again... it's been... hard." I say and she nods.

"Yes it has." She agrees. Some selfish part of me is glad that she's had a hard time without me like I have her.

We walk for a little while in silence and when we get to a small building, I open the door for her like I always do.

"Some things never change." She says softly with a smile on her face. I smile at her and we walk in, seating ourselves at a table for two. We sit across from each other and one of the waiters comes over, asking us what we'd like.

"I want a large black coffee and a bagel with cream cheese on the side please." She says and I smile.

"Some things never change." I chuckle and she smiles at me.

"I'll take a large black coffee please." I say and he nods, walking back over to the counter to put in our orders.

He comes back over with our coffees and Jo's bagel. She takes a sip of her coffee and looks at me.

"So... how have you been?" She asks and I look down at the table.

"Well like I said before... it's been really hard. It's like I've been lost without you. I haven't known what to do or even think. It's like my world has been turned upside down and twisted." I say, looking back up at her. She has a look of regret and hurt on her face.

"You have to know that I didn't mean anything that I said. I was angry and I never wanted you to leave and never come back." I say and she nods, looking down at her coffee.