Reflected X

Chapter 10: Way Down We Go

Hero

We walk around this large city for I don't know how long. We looked at countless bookstores that she loves going to. We stopped at a cafe to get some coffee and we went to the 9/11 museum. Now we're on a ferry on our way to the Statue of Liberty.

"I don't know how many times I have been to look at this Statue. It's just as amazing as the first time." Josephine says, looking out at the water.

"Have you ever been up in it?" I ask her and she shakes her head.

"No, they shut that down a few years ago. They won't let anyone go up there." She says and I nod.

"I've always dreamed of coming to New York. It always seemed so amazing and now that I'm here, I want to go back to Seattle. Sure, New York is beautiful, but it's just not my scene." I say and she looks over at me.

"To sunny." I say, my lips stretching into a smile. She giggles and looks back out at the water.

"It rains sometimes. Just not as often as in Seattle." She says with a smile on her face.

"Yeah. I think in a month or two I'm gonna go back." I say and her smile falters. I turn to face her and grab her hand, pulling her so that she's looking at me.

"I can help you expand. You can come back home with me Jo." I say hopeful and she sighs, looking down. "What's wrong baby?" I ask and she looks back up at me.

"Seattle holds so many memories of you and I. Good and bad. I just feel like if I go back with you, more bad will happen." She says and I look down at my hand in hers.

"You're right. So many bad things have happened to us there. But I want to be with you. We've been apart for almost three years and I don't want to be apart from you anymore." I say and I smile.

"I never wish to be parted from you from this day on." I say and a small smile plays on her lips.

"Can I ask you a question?" She asks and I chuckle.

"Of course baby." I say and she looks deeply into my eyes.

"Would you ever go back to when we first got together and do some things differently?" She asks and I sigh. I think long and hard about her question.

"No, I wouldn't." I say.

"Why not?" She asks and I sigh again.

"Because I wouldn't change any desicion I have ever made with you. Everything I have ever done with you is the best thing I have ever done. The only time I would change was when I told you that if you left that you could never come back." I say and she looks down.

"Because... that was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I know that when I'm mad, I say things that I don't mean, just like you do. And nothing I can ever do or say can ever express how sorry I am for saying that to you." I say, looking down at her. She looks up at me and smiles.

"Do you believe in fate?" She asks and I nod.

"In some situations, yeah." I say and she smiles.

"No matter who leaves, fate will always bring us together again. Like when we saw each other again a few days ago, the universe thought it would be ironic to let us meet again just like we met for the first time." She says and I smile.

"Yeah, it did." I say and she laughs softly. Her smile fades after a while and she looks back out of the water.

"Would you go back and change some things that happened?" I ask and she nods.