𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄: 𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐄𝐅𝐅𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐒

————𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞: 𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐞𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐬————"you know sign language?"————

————
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞: 𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐞𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐬
————
"you know sign language?"
————

𝐚𝐮𝐫𝐨𝐫𝐚 𝐣𝐮𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞, 𝐣𝐨𝐥𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐮𝐩𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐬 𝐚𝐬 she gasped for breath. her eyes scanned her surroundings, making sure that she was in a safe place. she felt a small amount of relief appear in her chest once she realized that she was in her room. she continued to breathe heavily, bringing her hands up to wipe the sweat off of her forehead.

"you're okay. it was just a dream." she mumbled to herself, pushing her hair back.

the sound of her door opening made her look up, seeing her mother standing in the doorway. "well, good morning. you're gonna be late for school, so let's get a move on it, yeah?" rebecca said before she turned and went down the hall.

aurora furrowed her eyebrows, a feeling of uncertainty appearing in her chest. she climbed out of bed and got ready for the day before she went downstairs. to her surprise, rebecca was in the kitchen cooking breakfast. aurora sat down at the island cautiously, staring at the back of her mother's head.

it was silent for a few minutes, the uncertainty growing as time went on. something wasn't right, aurora could feel it. did her mother not feel it? or was she ignoring it?

"something isn't right." aurora mumbled, looking around the kitchen.

"what was that, sweetie?" rebecca asked, not turning around.

"something isn't right. this isn't right." aurora repeated, her eyes landing on her mother again. and then it hit her. "you're not supposed to be here."

rebecca let out a dry chuckle, making aurora's stomach churn. "well then where am i supposed to be?" she asked, still facing the stove.

"you're dead, mom." the teenage girl said.

aurora watched as her mother's spine went completely straight. rebecca stopped moving around whatever she was cooking, looking straight ahead.

"isn't this what you want?"

aurora's stomach continued to churn. "this is a dream." she mumbled to herself.

"oh, is that what we're calling it now?" rebecca questioned, turning the stove off as she removed the pan off of the eye.

aurora watched as smoke started to come from something in front of rebecca. "what's burning if you just took the pan off?" she whispered, having a feeling that she didn't actually want to know.

"why can't you just stop asking questions and enjoy the peacefulness?" rebecca asked, her voice a lot deeper than it was a few seconds ago. "you was always such a curious little cub."